Welcome to the first SIG build of 2012. Vietnam

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well the results of the SIG polls showed that this was the most voted for subject for the SIG GB's so we will start with that one.

A huge 'conflict' that covered an equally huge area and period in time. I am sure that there will be a vast range of entries in this one. From a solitary GI to the whole of the Mekong Delta.

From a tropical jungle to a desolate beach.

Its got it all. Mud, sun, rain, desert, jungle, plains, villages, large towns. Water everywhere, the sea rivers and rice paddies.

All kinds of military hardwares, from WWII left overs (or survivors if you prefer), to things that are still in use today. Albeit in a better newer version......

As for all the Group builds, please include your name in the title and get those box top and sprue shots posted as soon as you have them.

Any Chit chat and questions, or links to general info in this thread.

We have six months so no pressure, just 'Reserve' your idea before another beats you to it!

Get stuck it!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL nice choice Papa 695.

Might I suggest that you start your thread and post the above in that......

Ian M

B

Brickie

Can I ask, would it be permissible to enter something from the French Indochina war - Dien Bien Phu and all that...?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Although it's Ian's shout, the siege at Dien Bien Phu occured in Vietnam.....The build is titled 'Vietnam' so on the face of it , it should be O.K....???

Ron

B

Brickie

I've got the Revell Privateer in 1/72 that I snagged from TK Maxx back in November, and it has an option for French Aéronavale, 1954.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What date was that Bricky?

Ian m

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Found the answer to that one myself!

French Indochina war 1946-1954

Vietnam war 1959-1975.....

So in reply to your question I think I will have to say no it was not the same thing. Sorry Brickie.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Although it's Ian's shout, the siege at Dien Bien Phu occured in Vietnam.....The build is titled 'Vietnam' so on the face of it , it should be O.K....???Ron
WWI and WWII also took place in the same countries, does this mean that they are also the same thing? Also this would mean that the other build "The Pacific" could also come in under this one, or visa versa. what with the US Navy taking the Ocean route and the British land forces working theie way down through Indochina.

As good as you intentions Ron, the french Indochina war is some thing quite different to the Vietnam war.

Questions have been asked ín the polls upto the sorting of the GB/SIG callender.

Ian M

B

Brickie

No probs, bit of a longshot. I'll keep an eye out for something kosher 'Nam coming round cheaply.

D

dm73

Hi all, i know this isn't the thread for this but its relevant to the SIG, i'm clearing out nearly all my vietnam stash for our big move and sticking it on ebay, these are the numbers 280808199646, 280808666138 i have a few other kits i'll throw in if a scale modeller wins the auctions.

Gutted i won't be able to join in this build but hopefully will be back up and running in a few months.

Mods, if this needs moving please do.

Regards

Darren

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to read that Darren.

I hope that you get a good price and can get out to buy some more :smiling:

Also its fine by me that you put this in here, so no worries.

Ian M