Well, here is my progress...

H

Hunty22

Well guys, I have been lurking long enough, time to show my wares. Be gentle with me, this is my second model in over 30 years!

It's the Tamiya Kubelwagen Type 82 in 1/35. Still plenty to do but I thought I would just post a couple of update piccies. I need to sort quite a lot out, 2nd go at airbrushing and first go at weathering!

I have to work on my decal application too...

Steve

B

Boldman

I'd recommend Micro Sol and Micro Set for decals. I've only just started using it myself and was quite astounded at the results I got, being able to get the decal to sink into the tiniest of indentations, quite astounding!

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I stock a few decal solutions but as suggested mico set and sol will work great and soften your decals so they have a painted on look.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another good idea is to use gloss varnish either on the whole kit, which will male the weathering easier too, or just where the decals should go. This makes the surface the decal is to placed on very smooth and reduces the risk of silvering. Matt paint is very rough and air gets trapped in the surface under the decal.

As Boldman/Andrew said micro set will get the decal to settle better and stick well down. once that has dried give it a little Micro Sol with a soft brush and leave it alone. Dont worry if the decal starts to wrinkle up, most of them do that but they do dry flat and follow any details in the surface of the kit, giving the decal that painted on look. If after the first use there are still places that the decal will not go down in, or has made "tents", typically over a bolt head or rivet, just give it a little more SOL.

As for your second kit and airbrush AND first weathering you have made a good job of it. Most people make the mistake of going over the top with the weathering at first, me included but that looks pretty good. Well done.

Ian M

A

andygh

2 in 30 years? ... get building, you've made a fine job of that

H

Hunty22

Thanks fellas. I did do a couple of coats of Klear before I did the decals, but still struggled to get them on without silvering as you can see. I get the feeling Micro sol is the preferred medium so will invest in some for my next model. Still quite a bit to do on this yet, going to try some pigment detail for rust (using pastels) and have the figure to complete that comes with the kit.

I am really enjoying this modelling, it's so relaxing. With the job I do I needed something to chill me out and this fits the bill perfectly. Just by reading the posts in here I have learned so much. Now its just practice practice practice!

I just realised how my post reads "two in 30 years....makes it sound like they took 15 years a piece!! :grinball1:

Thanks for the kind comments and advice chaps.

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I just realised how my post reads "two in 30 years....makes it sound like they took 15 years a piece!! :grinball1: Steve
Don't worry about it. That's about my speed too!

Gern

PS Nice job so far. As the guys have already said, some decal setting stuff will help.