Western Approach Lifecolor

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Morning happy new year blah blah blah!

Question time peeps!

I'm using the above paint on my 72nd Flower Class, now I brush paint everything but this stuff whether I have a bad batch or what, I don't know... I'm on my 5th coat of approaches blue and the white... I've lost count but it's not covering how other manufacturers paint do.
All instructions have been followed... am I doing something wrong or could there be something else?
All surface are dust and grease free.

Thanks for any help

Lee

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The only life colour paint I’ve used is the rust and dust set. That seems to cover well. However, I don’t think your experience is unusual unfortunately. I think they are just low in pigmentation. Have you primed the surface?

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The only life colour paint I’ve used is the rust and dust set. That seems to cover well. However, I don’t think your experience is unusual unfortunately. I think they are just low in pigmentation. Have you primed the surface?

Thanks Tim, yes had a prime coat... it's bothering me as I want to get it completed now! (Should of been done a couple of years ago!)

Lee

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I binned my Lifecolour paints. Used them two or three times in the airbrush and on the brush but found them to be too watery. It took too many coats to get a decent coverage. A bit like Mission Models paints which I dont use now either for the same reasons.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Yep,
binned my LifeColor paints - never could get a decent finish with them. Not a great deal of help, I know, all I can suggest is trying another brand & using the LifeColor as a primer, Vallejo Model Color or AK 3rd Generation give me the best results generally, brush, or airbrush.
Dave

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I binned my Lifecolour paints. Used them two or three times in the airbrush and on the brush but found them to be too watery. It took too many coats to get a decent coverage. A bit like Mission Models paints which I dont use now either for the same reasons.
Yep,
binned my LifeColor paints - never could get a decent finish with them. Not a great deal of help, I know, all I can suggest is trying another brand & using the LifeColor as a primer, Vallejo Model Color or AK 3rd Generation give me the best results generally, brush, or airbrush.
Dave

Thanks chaps, been thinking I'd done something that wasn't working for the paint... here we go, back to the drawing board!

Lee

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you want to try Vallejo you can find the "correct" colours....
WA Blue = 973 light sea grey + 919 foundation white mixed 1:2 (one part grey to two parts white.
Alternative WA blue =901 Pastel blue
WA Green = Game color 72035 Foul green mixed with 919 foundation white 1:2 (one green two white)
Brush very nice and spray well when thinned.

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
If you want to try Vallejo you can find the "correct" colours....
WA Blue = 973 light sea grey + 919 foundation white mixed 1:2 (one part grey to two parts white.
Alternative WA blue =901 Pastel blue
WA Green = Game color 72035 Foul green mixed with 919 foundation white 1:2 (one green two white)
Brush very nice and spray well when thinned.

Thanks Ian, I'll have a nosy at them and see what goes :thumb2:

Lee

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Lee, when I brush painted my 1/144 version of the Corvette, I used Vallejo Model Air. Brushed on a treat!

Ron

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I was very disappointed with the WWI british uniform set I bought - it was my first try with acrylics and I nearly gave up.
I switched to Vallejo and had very few problems

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Vallejo 901 919 ordered... maybe i can now crack on and finish this monstrosity when they arrive!

Thanks everyone

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm using the above paint on my 72nd Flower Class, now I brush paint everything but this stuff whether I have a bad batch or what, I don't know... I'm on my 5th coat of approaches blue and the white... I've lost count but it's not covering how other manufacturers paint do.
All instructions have been followed... am I doing something wrong or could there be something else?
I had much the same question a few years ago and it looks like I had exactly the same experience with them as you did. I’ve decided to not waste any more money and time on them, and just buy different brands that do cover instead.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vallejo 901 919 ordered... maybe i can now crack on and finish this monstrosity when they arrive!

Thanks everyone

Lee
You have foul green?! Lol forgot to say that the mixes I posted are 'colour matched' to the actual colours. I'm fussy like that.
Now I know how big the model is, have one myself. Mix enough of each colour to finish the job. For a 2:1 mix I would do a whole bottle white to half a bottle of the other colour them mix the fork out of them.

Last edited:

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I had much the same question a few years ago and it looks like I had exactly the same experience with them as you did. I’ve decided to not waste any more money and time on them, and just buy different brands that do cover instead.

Jakko, I wont waste my money on Lifecolor again thats for sure!

You have foul green?! Lol forgot to say that the mixes I posted are 'colour matched' to the actual colours. I'm fussy like that.
Now I know how big the model is, have one myself. Mix enough of each colour to finish the job. For a 2:1 mix I would do a whole bottle white to half a bottle of the other colour them mix the fork out of them.

Blue and white are what I've gone for so I guess I'll see what the match is like when they arrive... Next Saturday apparently?!

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I should really try one again, to see if aging helps :smiling3: Like I said in that other thread, I had a few bottles that worked fine, but I bought those almost 20 years ago and had them for a few years before actually using them. Maybe once the paint has been getting thicker with age (as many acrylics do) it will be usable. Or so I sort of hope, anyway …

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I've had them for a while and it doesn't seem to make much difference... annoyingly!

Lee

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I bought mine maybe five years ago now, so I’ll go give it a try (when I remember to :smiling3:).

Lee W

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I bought mine maybe five years ago now, so I’ll go give it a try (when I remember to :smiling3:).

Mine aren't that old...

Lee