Western Star - Italeri 790

P

pistonhead

Hey everyone, welcome to my first build thread here!

Ok, sorry if this is a long post, but this model actually has a rather nice backstory... here goes... (might wanna grab a coffee)

--

So, as a kid I bought the Western star 790 kit at a truckshow. I built it (badly) and played with it.. as kids do!

It was modified over the years with the Italeri 764 truck accessories, and later added the 48ft American Reefer trailer. I loved it, it was my pride & joy.

Many years later, as I grew up I had a clear out and threw it away... it was knackared and didnt think to keep it for spares :/

So, fast forward to last year. I'm having a clear out of old childhood toys and sell some on Ebay. I make a little bit more money than expected so thought I would treat myself to something to remember it all by.

Reminising of childhood memories, I remember the truck shows, and of course my old western star.

Sure enough, I find one for sale on Ebay (this is all in the same day). I do a bit of research and begin to realise how rare the kit has become!

I end up winning the Kit, after chatting to the seller its revealed that the previous owner (her husband) had past away, and she was selling his unstarted kits. (dont know how true it is, but I want to believe its true... and fate).

----

So here we are, I've now got the kit, and am building it the way I wanted it to be when I was a kid.

I've also got my hands on the Western star road commander wrecker, the 48ft reefer trailer, and the 764 truck accessories.

although I have the old truck accessory kit, im not using the characters from it. I've decided to go with the modern characters as they are more detailed. I may use them in the future though :smiling3:

I've had a couple of problems so far, the main one being the modern characer being far too big to fit the old kit... ive had to cut his butt off, and lower the seat to get him in the cab!

Im going for a slightly weathered look, using simple craft acrylic paints (I know, not brilliant) but they come off easy if I make a mistake... I might seal them with clear once done, but probably wont (dont plan on handling the truck much this time!)

I've used plastikote spraypaint on the main body, which reacted on the inner panels. (ive had problems with plastikote recently with guitar spraying projects too).

Anyway, attaching photos of progress so far, feel free to offer advice etc :smiling3:

View attachment 47645View attachment 47644View attachment 47646View attachment 47647View attachment 47648View attachment 47649View attachment 47650

View attachment 50551

View attachment 50552

View attachment 50553

View attachment 50554

View attachment 50555

View attachment 50556

View attachment 50557

P6030069.jpg

P6030095.jpg

P7090019.jpg

P7090020.jpg

P7090021.jpg

P7090022.jpg

amerikanen western star italeri 790.jpg

J

Jazz

Nice story Martin, it is nice to hear the background to a model, looking really good too.

cant wait to see more as you build it.

P

Polux

Wooww..... Great build mate!!!

Moc, Moc!!! Open way for me!!! :laughing:

Cheers

P

pistonhead

cheers guys :D its getting there, ive just found the joy of using chalk / pastells to weather it.... im using hairspray to set it... recon thats ok??

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thats a mighty fine piece of work you got there Martin.

Can't wait to see it complete.

Tony.