Westland Lynx HMA 8 1/48 , i made a right pigs ear of this !

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I really messed up the paint job on this , I tried something new and it didn't work but by then it was too late

View attachment 63498View attachment 63499View attachment 63500View attachment 63501View attachment 63502

View attachment 63503View attachment 63504View attachment 63505View attachment 63506View attachment 63507View attachment 63508View attachment 63509

I had problems with this build from the begging , even though all the parts are clean an straight they don't fit properly , I had to fill up to 2mm gaps in the body, my advice to anyone looking at purchasing this kit or have it in their stash is to file down the deck plate and the role bar of the cockpit so the body fits properly.

View attachment 64839

View attachment 64840

View attachment 64841

View attachment 64842

View attachment 64843

View attachment 64844

View attachment 64845

View attachment 64846

View attachment 64847

View attachment 64848

View attachment 64849

View attachment 64850

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

C

Caledonia

Well Alan, if that's a pigs ear I'd like to see one of your good models, it looks pretty good to me. I would be happy to add it to my collection. The internal details look top notch too. Cheers Derek

Last edited:
T

tecdes

2mm gaps that is crazy. What manufacturer was this Alan ?

Despite that it looks good to me.

What did you try new on the paintwork ?

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
the pics do it a better look to be honest Caledonia.

teceds its airfix , I wanted the raised detail to stand out better so you could see it better but I used too dark a colour so when I dry brushed it out it didn't cover very well so I had to dry brush it with more layers and all that did was smooth out the detail.

if it was recessed detail it would have been fine.

but I am going to do another lynx in 1/32 scale by Revell so I will learn from my mistakes and hopfully do a deter job.

R

Roobarb

I think you might be highlighting an issue that exists with all plastic kits,that variations occur within a production run and the way in which a kit may be stored, either in transport,warehouse or retailer. One of the members of our club built the Airfix Lynx a few months ago and had no problem with the kit,in fact he was very impressed,yet your experience has been just the opposite. I believe you are seeing this variation. I've buil tthree Eduard 1/48 Hellcats over the last two years (I like Hellcats)all showed differences in the mouldings,two had mismatching cowlings another had a warped fuselage,the cowlings I could correct by heating in hot water,the fuselage was beyond hope as it was also out by a couple of mm vertically,in that case I obtained a replacement from the supplier. These variations might come down to a sprue having been released early from the mould,perhaps the kit has been stored in warm environment etc.

For what it's worth before I start a model I remove all the major parts from the sprues and either hold ortape them together and try and spot any discrepancy if there are any that I consider unreasonable, I will contact the manufacturer,at least by doing that you get a correct part and the manufacturer maybe able to do something about the issue. Having worked in industry for thirty plus years, feedback from the customer is useful and is normally acted on.

I might add from one manufacturer I was sent a replacement part plus a complete kit,having highlighted an issue with one of their kits! That is good customer service.

Malcolm

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
thanks for the advice Malcom I will bear that in mind, its a shame I had difficulties with the kit because it is a very detailed kit and I was realy looking forward to it.

ive done my best with it and looking at it on the shelf now it looks good well from a distance anyway lol

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well you might of had a few problems but it looks like it turned out pretty good.

We are in the death throws of a helicopter group build and there where a couple that built this kit and I don't recall that there was many problems reported... maybe they just didn't shout it out.

I built one last year and the fit was ok as well.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
im begging to think that I just got a bad kit or I stored it in the wrong place that altered the kit , have a number of kits in the same place so if I have similar problems I will know to store them in a different place.

also now I have moved it to a shelf it does look better than when I was painting it so maybe lighting is a factor as well.

thanks for all the input folks

T

tecdes

Think Alan as you are obviously painting your models in a horizontal mode I would try vertical much easier :peace:

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A nicely done Lynx Alan, despite the issues you came across.