What a load of scrap

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have a rake of these Bachmann SSA 51 ton scrap wagons that I have weathered inside and out but I'd like to add loads to them.

View attachment 95758

I've seen other modellers add loads using swarf and old sprue which looks completely unrealistic. Some companies also make ready to use loads of bailed scrap metal but I don't want five identical loads so had a think about it and came up with using crushed tin foil.

Using my daughter's Lego as a mould for two different sized bales, tear off bits of foil and stuff them into the mould then squeeze them with another block of Lego to form them.

View attachment 95770

View attachment 95771

When you have enough bales put them in an old yoghurt pot and add a thinned down mix of rust coloured paint, put the lid on and give it a shake. Let the bales dry then add them to your chosen wagon. A touch of coloured paint here and there breaks up the drabness and suggests crushed scrap cars etc.

View attachment 95772

View attachment 95773

The loaded wagon. It needs a bit more scrap though.

View attachment 95774

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

First Name
Richard
Good idea,

bookmarked this one

Cheers Richi

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great tips Rick. They almost look edible!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice tips Rick always a welcome thing to know, ;)

B

Benhur

Buy a bag of model coal and half fill the wagon with card or balsa wood then cover that with glue and sprinkle the coal on top.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great. I wonder if you painted the individual pieces of foil different colours, before crushing them, that might look like different coloured cars all squashed up.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Looks great. I wonder if you painted the individual pieces of foil different colours, before crushing them, that might look like different coloured cars all squashed up.
You can do it before or after, or even use sweetie wrappers as they sometimes have colours printed on them.