What camera do you use.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I use a Nikon D300, and for close up stuff I attach my Nikon 50mm lens with a close up (DIopter No 2) filter attached. Equally important though is Photoshop which allows me to clip and refine the images to help correct any colour or other problems problems.

John

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Ralph have you decided which camera you are goin for ?

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Probably no help whatsoever but I use a Canon D70 DSLR for my 'proper' photos such as museum reference shots but now tend to just use my iPhone for grabbing build shots to post on this site

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Steve
Don’t confuse zoom range with the camera’s ability to magnify the subject close up. They are different requirements. Zoom is optimised to bring small objects closer from distance, such as wildlife photography. Macro shooting relies on the camera’s ability to put a life size or bigger image on the CCD when making the image.
To get decent close up pictures the minimum focus point of the camera is the most important factor because the closer you can get to the subject the bigger it will seem in the picture. The other important points are a small aperture (high F number) and keeping the camera steady. These last two are what increases the depth of field, so enables all of the subject to be in focus.
You can buy dedicated SLR kit for this but to be honest, it is overkill for our application. A good point and shoot with a decent macro setting will perform well enough for web posting. I have a really good Canon set up, but use a Panasonic LUMIX for most of my model photography. It has a good wide angle lense and this makes it easier to use in a general bench environment. All of my recent 28mm figure pictures have been taken with this camera.
Another wrinkle I use a lot is to shoot the shot from slightly further away, making sure is is really sharp, then crop the picture to make the subject appear bigger.
Cheers
Tim
I love to read a bit of camera advice from someone who knows what they're talking about. I have a Canon PowerShot SX510 HS, which has lots of features, but, I hang my head in shame, when I say, I reach for the 'Auto' function every time. I know the poor thing can do so much more !

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
About 90% of my photos are off my smart phone. Sony Experia 24mp can do ok close ups but no easy as hand held. If I really need to push it I dig out the canon and a macro lens.

First Name
Noel
I use a Fujifilm X10 prosumer compact tripod mounted for most of my set up model photography. Takes good high res pictures and also I can travel light with it and saves lugging a bag load of gear around to any shows.
Also have a smaller, lighter Panasonic LX3 with similar capability.
I have used both of these cameras quite happily for a number of years.I
Both are now reasonably priced second hand there days as both models have been superseded some time ago.
There is a bit of a trade off as both cameras have limited zoom capability but very high quality lenses.