What camera do you use.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4539
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4539

Hello my Friends.
I am looking to buy a new camera.
To help me along could you tell me what camera you use and post a pic of a model that you took with it.
All the best.
Ralph.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have the wrong one and I too am looking to replace my current one. I'm after one with micro magnification rather than zooming in as it doesn't work on close ups. I will be interested to see the responses you get

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I still use my old "Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm Lens" camera.

I think any decent SLR camera would be a good choice.

Cheers, Steven

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If I want to be fancy I dig out my Pentax DSLR and bipod, but quite honestly most of the pics I post here are taken on my phone camera (Google Pixel 2). It has something like a 12mp lens and produces very nice pics.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ralph happy to help you to make your choice
I now have two camera's I use this them both a fair amount an they are fairly easy to use but apart from tryin to stop the flash goin off on the canon but my fault as I dint read the instruckions properly
1st the canon model no. power shot sx620 hs wi-fi 25 x optical zoom 20.2 mega pixP1020152.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN a Panasonic model no. dmc-tz5 10 x optical zoom lumix but this camera has a wide angle lens mega 28mm wide an again fairly easy to use as its all automatic like the canon hope this helps you an each camera took a pic of the other so you can see how good a pic it takes IMG_4552.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THE canon was quite exspensive Ralph but the Panasonic I bought off a car boot sale for £6 as the lady dint know how to use it as she lost the instuctions an it was brand new an I knew I could use it as its the same model as my old camera which I dropped onto concrete so I got a bargain there but its just luck droppin onto something like that
chris

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nikon COOLPIX & newer Kodak PIXPRO FZ43. Pretty hard to tell the difference between the two (they are likely built by the same maker). They operate the same, and the photo quality is about the same, but the newer Kodak doesen't eat batteries as fast as the older Nikon. PaulE

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Afternoon.
I use my Moto g 6 plus phone sometimes, or my Canon 5D.

This from the Canon.
IMG_2888.JPG

This from the Phone.

IMG_20190529_155058124.jpg

I think one of the important things is good lighting, I've got a lighting tent,like the one below. I know Paul and Jim have them as well. The lights are really good.
John.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I use the camera on my iPad for the vast majority of my model photos.

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I am sorry to hijack Ralph's thread but this is the closest of close ups that I can do.

IMG_0224.JPG

This is 2.4 magnification on my camera. I really want to get in so close that it is just the rivet that is showing. I just don't know what to look for as a "feature" on a camera to provide this type of photo. My posh camera has 50x zoom which is great for seeing things a long way away but completely useless for close up work

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
AN a Panasonic model no. dmc-tz5 10 x optical zoom lumix but this camera has a wide angle lens mega 28mm wide an again fairly easy to use as its all automatic like the canon hope this helps you an each camera took a pic of the other so you can see how good a pic it takes View attachment 343613

Snap ! this is the one that I use a very versatile and powerful camera for its size.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I just don't know what to look for as a "feature" on a camera to provide this type of photo.
You need a macro mode Steve. However, different makers have different ideas about what counts as macro, so you really need to try before you buy.
This was taken just now with my Lumix TZ10, quite an old camera now.
P1150116.JPG
Pete

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Try before I buy sounds like good advice. Many thanks Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steve
Don’t confuse zoom range with the camera’s ability to magnify the subject close up. They are different requirements. Zoom is optimised to bring small objects closer from distance, such as wildlife photography. Macro shooting relies on the camera’s ability to put a life size or bigger image on the CCD when making the image.
To get decent close up pictures the minimum focus point of the camera is the most important factor because the closer you can get to the subject the bigger it will seem in the picture. The other important points are a small aperture (high F number) and keeping the camera steady. These last two are what increases the depth of field, so enables all of the subject to be in focus.
You can buy dedicated SLR kit for this but to be honest, it is overkill for our application. A good point and shoot with a decent macro setting will perform well enough for web posting. I have a really good Canon set up, but use a Panasonic LUMIX for most of my model photography. It has a good wide angle lense and this makes it easier to use in a general bench environment. All of my recent 28mm figure pictures have been taken with this camera.
Another wrinkle I use a lot is to shoot the shot from slightly further away, making sure is is really sharp, then crop the picture to make the subject appear bigger.
Cheers
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Glad you have arrived Tim, with words of wisdom.