What Colours ?

First Name
Gary
Sort of a general question really.

I suspect this will cease to be an issue once I build up my paint collection but how do I find out what colours I need for a kit ?

I don’t mind buying individual colours but I can’t find any listing or suggestions on websites for each model such as ICM JU88 1/48 for any variation. Whilst I’m not overly concerned about exact historical accuracy some suggestions on websites would be helpful. Especially for beginners

Any pointers appreciated

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
White, black, yellow, blue and red are the most basic colors, after that you need to see what is needed for your model.(on the box or manual). Cheers, Steven

I like to add things like aluminium, burned umber, green etc...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sadly, it's not exhaustive, and only some manufacturers put the instructions up on their websites ( Revell & Zvezda amongst them ), but with a bit of luck, you can track most down - albeit often at poor resolution!
I always try to look at the instructions,before I buy, not only for the colours, but to see the complexity...............
Dave

First Name
Gary
Thats what I found. Some do and some don't. I will look at sets although the Tamiya set mentioned by Alan above is out of stck but there is a similar Vallejo set that will do. Although I might just pick a few from the box set and buy individualy for nw to get me going.
Someone mentioned we get a discount at Scale Model Shop. Is that the case ? Their prices are OK but every little helps

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I will look at sets although the Tamiya set mentioned by Alan above is out of stck but there is a similar Vallejo set that will do. Although I might just pick a few from the box

Someone mentioned we get a discount at Scale Model Shop. Is that the case ? Their prices are OK but every little helps

It was the Vallejo set i mentioned as an example. AK do a set too.

For the shop discount read the first post on this page

First Name
Gary
Great stuff, thanks Alan.

Not sure if I'm more excited by all the info finding than I will be by the actual build....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
When you've created an account, you get points for every order. On a subsequent purchase you can trade in the points for a further discount, or let it build up. This is in addition to the supporters discount
Dave

First Name
Gary
Good idea. Shame they dont do more kits but it looks like they are building the range up so thats good. Certainly a place to buy all my paints and other accessories

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Shame they dont do more kits

Gary. If you are after a specific kit then send John a PM/email at the shop and he'll see if he can get it and give you a price. Scale Model Shop is an excellent shop and he has always accommodated my orders very well when i've ordered from him.

D

Deleted member 7181

Shame they dont do more kits
Really?

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place as there are hundreds of them in all shapes, sizes, and scales. More than anyone could ever build in a lifetime I'm sure.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Gary,
When you've created an account, you get points for every order. On a subsequent purchase you can trade in the points for a further discount, or let it build up. This is in addition to the supporters discount
Dave

Does this need to be activated somewhere or do i need to link my forum account to the shop account ?

I found what i needed to answer my own question - didn't realise there was a shop discount for being a forum supporter - nice bonus

First Name
Gary
Really?

Maybe you are looking in the wrong place as there are hundreds of them in all shapes, sizes, and scales. More than anyone could ever build in a lifetime I'm sure.

True but not the ICM models I want. However as suggested by Alan I will ask them for the model I want. They will deal with distributors so shouldnt be a problem

D

Deleted member 7181

True but not the ICM models I want.
Then maybe it would have been better to be more specific rather than it sounding like you were suggesting deficiencies in Johns range.

As Al says though, John is a very helpful guy so should be able to help you source something in particular.

First Name
Gary
Dont take it personally. I'm sure John doesn't. He does a great range but not a comprehensive range of each manfacturer. Yet.

Just making an observation is all. Sheesh