What do you do with all your completed models

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Sorry if this has been asked before. Did try searching the forum without success. Many of you have been building for many years and must have amassed quite a collection and I just wondered what do you do with all your finished models. I have a love for larger scale aircfraft but lack the space to display them once completed. Sadly as my good lady doesn't share my passion for models mine tend to get put away in the loft. Just curious as to what you do with yours.

Steve

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Hi, I like to put mine in a bookcase with glass-doors (to keep dust out), I plan to build another display cabinet that will hang above the hobby-desk, but no time for that at the moment...

I remember this topic from Boatman;

Cheers, Steven

Reactions: JR

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking through the answers on that Tank post it seems like Im not the only one who retires his collection to the loft.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i only have limited display space so new stuff tends to get put in there
good stuff that isnt 'new' but i need to keep handy in case i need it to take to a show is kept in plastic storage boxes under the spare room bed......keeps them dust free
old stuff i cant bare to part with is in same sort of plastic storage boxes in the loft

the boxes are cheap enough, places like B&M have ones about 8 inches high but the length is the same as the width of a single bed for about a tenner

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
You NEVER complete models. They are to be started, slightly painted then retired to the shelf of doooooooooooooooom! For ever and ever amen ;)

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I have over 150 completed models and 1 diorama. The models are all 1/87 scale and are divided between 2 glass front display cases, with room left in one case for a couple more and that's it. The diorama is a center piece for my coffee table in my Den. I have half a dozen unfinished builds, so if I want to display them when they are finished, I will need to get another display case or build one. It would drive me crazy to spend countless hours and "blue words" building a kit just to box it up and condemn it to "scale model purgatory". Rick H. p.s. I confess, last inventory taken in Dec. 2019 revealed 674 unbuilt 1/87 vehicle kits.
I think I need more display cases.

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steve, indeed a problem, I built some storage units a couple of years ago, and now there nearly full , so the thought of having to pack them off to the attic would make me feel like Rick mentioned. :disappointed:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Steve,

I don't have a problem with finished models and where to store them. I have a simple rule that I follow for this.

If you don't finish any models, you don't have a problem with storing them!!! It's that simple.........

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

I haven't crossed this particular bridge yet, but it's coming up fast. Up to now they've been displayed in a cabinet at the side of our TV but that is now crammed, especially after adding 3 dio's, so need to find a resting place for them.