Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just my views on the subject.;
I have never felt the need to sand a kit befor painting it. Seams and filler here and there yes. But the whole surface.. or have I misunderstood something?

As to which grit to buy. Fine, medium and coarse works for 99% of things. Then Extra fine then we are into polishing sticks.
I suggest that you find a set a bit like this:

https://flex-i-file.com/products/550-flex-set-complete-finishing-set A good set for a start-up as it has just about much of the ones you need most.
or

A good way to find out what you need and don't need and what you like or don't like.
These two brands are my normal 'go to' sanding solutions. They last for ages and work well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not missed much there at all to my mind Ian. I agree that fine, medium, and coarse works for most things, especially those with a matt finish because those finishes are much more tolerant of surface blemishes. The finer ones I use on gloss and bare metal finishes, which can show every blemish, so I try to take more care. The really fine papers and polishes are used for polishing glass and canopies. Never had much luck with dipping them in Klear and find polishing is far superior, both in finish and in reliability.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The finer ones I use on gloss and bare metal finishes
Yes, I have some Micro mesh cloth for the 'shinny stuff'.

Tip of the day.
Next time you chuck a pair of jeans out. As in propper DEMIN jeans, find a good bit and save it.
Makes for a good fine grade polisher...