What is a paint mask

L

Lady Phoenix

Ok, Im sorry if this is a stupid question but what is a paint mask. Ive seen a few advertised on flea bay, some seem a lot of money and others not so much.

So, what is a paint mask

Why would you use them

When would you NOT use them

TIA

W

Wayne Reed

HI Lady.

A paint mask is a sheet of pre cut making tape to fit onto canopy's. The idea is when you airbrush a plane you put the canopy on it so as not to get overspray in the cockpit. As you may have seen on most planes you have raised lines there in the real world metal or something and need to be painted the same colour as the plane so we mask of the clear bit. what a mask will do is save you having to cut masking tape to do it. They are already cut to the shape you need and you just stick them on.

I have used them only once as I found I could do it my self all be it, it takes longer but I feel masks are way to over priced for what they are. But its each to there own mate.

Last edited:
L

Laurie

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Masks/Spitfire-Mk-V-1-48-1-1.html

If you look at this Penny it gives a better idea. Just peel the bits off and stick in the appropriate place on cockpit canopies windows etc. to mask off the bits not to be painted.

The other way, long winded, to mask with Tamiya tape along the frame lines. It is a laborious job but then to me it is part of model making. Also the art of doing it comes in handy for other parts of model making. It is very precise work if not it looks a real mess.

I am trying it a slightly different way. If it comes off I will let you know. If not I will not. :oops:

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They are well explained above.

I don't use them when I feel I can mask the parts (usually canopies and other clear parts) myself.

I do use them when there is a lot of glass, particularly in smaller scales, when the cost is worth the reduction in stress and effort. I used them on a 1/72 scale Lancaster most recently and was very glad that I did.

Cheers

Steve

M

Mike

\ said:
I used them on a 1/72 scale Lancaster most recently and was very glad that I did.
I literally shuddered at the thought of masking a 1/72 scale Lancaster canopy... The below was done either by using a canopy mask, or by someone with the patience of a saint...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's not just the canopy! There's all the turrets, bomb aimer's blister, several little windows, a challenge for even the most determined.

This is a 1/72 scale front turret masked with the Eduard set. Even using masks it took a considerable time to mask.

The results are worth every penny spent!

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

Eugh, no bugger that. I'm still learning, but I can barely be bothered painting the canopy, and when I do it's with a hairy brush mopped up by a cocktail stick soaked in thinners to wipe away any excess. Can't do that with a Lanc!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I've never used masks, always use tape with a new blade to cut my own. But I see Steve's point on the Lancaster, even I am tempted to indulge in some masks for the sake of sanity. Your Growler should be easy enough to mask yourself Penny if you wanted to.

L

Lady Phoenix

\ said:
I've never used masks, always use tape with a new blade to cut my own. But I see Steve's point on the Lancaster, even I am tempted to indulge in some masks for the sake of sanity. Your Growler should be easy enough to mask yourself Penny if you wanted to.
O, the growler should be a piece of cake. Its a two piece canopy so its only the edges that need painting. Now, the Tracker on the other hand. Different story :smiling3:

Thnks to all that replied on here. As I mentioned on another thread I feel rather stupid now. It turns out that I know what a mask is and that Ive made them and used them in the past. I just didnt know they were called masked.

Although if you sit and think about it for a second its not too hard to work out.

L

Laurie

\ said:
. As I mentioned on another thread I feel rather stupid now. .
The penny (sorry) has dropped :eek:. You should feel at home here then Penny. o_O

Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Use acrylic paints. I always make my own paint masks apart from using masks if they come in a kit (but I have a lot of Eduard Profipacks and limited editions which have masks). I think it is a waste of money when you could use that money getting a PE set. If there is any paint leakage, use alcohol to wipe it up and it will be as good as new

\ said:
Eugh, no bugger that. I'm still learning, but I can barely be bothered painting the canopy, and when I do it's with a hairy brush mopped up by a cocktail stick soaked in thinners to wipe away any excess. Can't do that with a Lanc!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
I literally shuddered at the thought of masking a 1/72 scale Lancaster canopy... The below was done either by using a canopy mask, or by someone with the patience of a saint...
Ha! That is exactly why I build in 1:48 and 1:32

John

L

Laurie

\ said:
Ha! That is exactly why I build in 1:48 and 1:32John
That is of course un-adulterated cheating John avoiding 1/72 to suit your own selfish interests..

John think of all that frustration you are missing. Those wide awake nights all that worry. The sorrow as your Morton slips and gauges a nice deep scratch across half the cockpit. The near success as the tape pulls away neatly from the cockpit cover with part of the so carefully painted cockpit frame hanging from the freed tape. Such wonderful and exciting moments. o_O

Ashamed of yourself I should say so. :D

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Penny. Just to confuse things more. You can also get masks to paint national markings like roundels or German crosses and swastikas. I will be getting some of these for my 1:24 Typhoon build. They look better than decals.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
They are well explained above.I don't use them when I feel I can mask the parts (usually canopies and other clear parts) myself.

I do use them when there is a lot of glass, particularly in smaller scales, when the cost is worth the reduction in stress and effort. I used them on a 1/72 scale Lancaster most recently and was very glad that I did.

Cheers

Steve
Me too. My Lancaster had over 50 glazed pieces!