What is it with these short tank tracks??

J

John Rixon

Am at the point of weathering the tracks for my Academy Bradley, and thought I'd offer them up to see how they're looking...guess what (the clue is in the title)? They are short by around 10 mm, sure, they will stretch a bit, but frankly, I'm not keen. Same story with an AFV Club Scorpion, but that's another story. Luckily, the top surface is covered up by the upper hull, but this doesn't excuse such a shortfall. both my Tamiya builds had excellent tracks, which were the correct length, and fitted together beautifully, why can't Academy manage it? I'd understand it if they also made after market tracks, but I don't really want to go there. Other than that, it's not a. Ad kit, a few glaring QC probs, but nothing a bit of lateral thinking and loud swearing didn't put right...!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
If there the soft plastic tracks just put them in warm water for a few minutes and then gently stretch them , I do this all the time with my tracks :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I remember this problem on the old Airfix kits I built as a kid. They were so tight that a lot of them ended up bending the axles on the idler wheels. I've never understood why they still make them so tight - after all, most tank tracks show some sag so the super-tight look is wrong anyway, regardless of whether you can get them to fit.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
If there the soft plastic tracks just put them in warm water for a few minutes and then gently stretch them , I do this all the time with my tracks :smiling3:
Trouble is Alan, I've already invested a fair bit of time and pigments on them, and am loathe to spoil all that. I will, of course, check in future before any painting or weathering and will warm them up accordingly! As I said, am so relieved that the wire joiner won't be seen...but I'll know it's there...grrrr!