What is the most satisfying model you have made?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Kept away from the bench by shaky hands - I've been thinking about past models I've made. I was thinking about which I was most satisfied, and happy with. After much pondering, I came up with this:fin 01.jpgfin 04.jpgfin 06.jpg

This is the 1/48 Revell reboxing of the ICM Mig-25RBT. The engineering of this kit, and the superb fit made it a real joy to assemble, and consequently finishing it gave me much pleasure - no PE, slide moulding, resin bits. ( at a good price, as well, which makes it even better ). The main thing is that it really looks the part for this big crude jet!

What was your most satisfying single model build? Not just the most complex, or most expensive, but gave you real pleasure, and you were happy to show people?
Just one model, please, and the reasons - pictures would be nice, but not essential
Looking forward to seeing other modellers happy times!
Dave

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Got to be my JU87 ...... not the prettiest looking by a country mile but each time i wander past it i stop to have a look and say to myself ..."now that is what an aircraft is supposed to look like". Italeri 1/48 .... ju87b2

Attachments

• m.ju87.1.jpg
    m.ju87.1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 27
  • m.ju87.2.jpg
    m.ju87.2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 27
  • m.ju87.3.jpg
    m.ju87.3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It has to be, for me, one of the Tamiya 1/32 warbirds. All these have superb fit and engineering. Yes, they do have some p.e. but it is not much of an issue with such well engineered kits.

So far the most satisfying of them is this: The Corsair, built as a FAA Mk II.
mind you, that is for now - tonight I start the 1/32 Tamiya Mossie...

Attachments

• IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2730.jpg
    IMG_2730.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2739.jpg
    IMG_2739.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 10

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well for me its got to be USS NIMITZ CVN 68 as it was a long scratchbuild 7yrs . But each part I made was like building a separate model an then bringing all the bits togeather to make the actual ship .An then the challenge of getting it all to work eg. the electronics an megtronics through to balanceing the ship in the test tank as when I added each new part
the ship had to be put in again in the test tank to rebalance again must have done it about 50 times but the sheer joy for me was thinking I built this ship an when I put her in a model show answering qeustions from the general public about the model. An she was quite a people puller as most of the G/P had never seen a model like this an they could not believie that it sailed on the water.An sevral time I had people kept comin up an sayin every time I look at the ship they see something different so that my most satisfyfing model of my life
unless tiger which I hope to start soon beats it :smiling:
chrisP1060647.JPGP1060646.JPGP1060654.JPGP1060693.JPGP1060679.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Dave sorry to hear that the hands not to steady an ive got that prob but tryin to keep ploodin on at the modelling as I will go crackers if I don't have summit to build now that im an oap got to keep the old grey matter busy an not vegetatei an that Foxbat looks really the cats whiskers very nice bit of work that
chris Scale of Nimitz is 1/144th

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some impressive builds to be seen! Keep them coming! It would be interesting to add the scale, and make - I can't tell - they're too good!
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This is a very difficult question, and after pondering on it for a while, I don’t think I can give an answer — and certainly not in a single model. Just as I don’t have a favourite song, favourite artist, favourite movie, or favourite anything, really, I have some models that I’m more satisfied with than others, but it’s all fuzzy area from “not satisfied at all” up to “pretty satisfied” and I’d be hard-pressed to place any model definitively between those two points.

This has several reasons, I suppose. One is that tastes change, and things that I may have been satisfied with before, I no longer am now — though, of course, that doesn’t matter if the question is what I find my most satisfactory model at this moment :smiling3: It’s also that I find it very difficult to pick one thing over another, and to place anything at extreme ends of a scale: ask me to give things scores from 1 through 10, and I’ll end up giving almost nothing but 4–7 with the odd peaks to 3 and/or 8.

So I’ll just post a few pictures of one of the models I’ve made that I’m most satisfied with:

T26E4 Super Pershing rechtsvoor 1.JPG
T26E4 Super Pershing linksachter.JPG
T26E4 Super Pershing links.JPG
T26E4 Super Pershing toren voorkant.JPG
T26E4 Super Pershing toren links.JPG
T26E4 Super Pershing motordek.JPG
T26E4 Super Pershing voorkant.JPG

This is an experimental T26E2 Pershing with a very long 90 mm gun, a one-off that was used in Germany in April–May 1945. I built this about 12 years ago (these photos are dated 9 March 2007), from the Tamiya M26 kit plus the Accurate Armour conversion kit, which needed some replacement parts made due to moulding deficiencies. Nowadays you can just buy a plastic kit of this tank, of course. I’m also somewhat pleased at having noticed that the commander’s hatch is straight back instead of in the four o’clock position, something that Steve Zaloga didn’t spot when he built this same model for a Military Modelling article :smiling3:

I thought I had some of the painted model too, but apparently, I never took any :sad:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Favourite song, Waterloo Sunset.
Favourite Artist, Dante Gabriel Rossetti.
Favourite movie, Godfather two.....
Not that hard Jakko :thumb2: mind you, the artist might change next week LOL....the song always generates frisson and the film never gets old though....

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Good question, my initial thought was ' the last one I made' but thinking a little more I think it is this one:

image.jpg

Apart from the bouy all the conversion is scratch made. I particularly enjoyed the 'engineering' side of supporting the water and tank by the 'hose' which was in fact a legth of thin metal rod with wire wound around it to create the ribbing.

It is a shame that the immitation water turned cloudy.

Peterimage.jpg

First Name
Adrian
Well, I really enjoyed building my flying thingie,,,,,,
Ok so its Games workshop's Smaug :smiling3:
Except for a few fit issues on the wings I really enjoyed painting it, I used a completely new range of paints ( Miniataire ) that just flowed effortlessly.
I showed it for the first time at Cosford 2 years ago and was pretty nervous, you think rivet counters are bad, you should deal with Tolkien fans!
Anyway it all turned out well and even made it into the Airfix magazine along with two local papers that were attending Cosford.DSC_2153.jpg

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Rem-207_04-12-2011.JPG

bit of a toss up between my very first full scratchbuild (a 1:76 Mk.IV female) or my 1:15(120mm) scratchbuilt Humber Pig or scratchbuilt 1:15 Horch Kfz.70 with 20mm flak and the one above which just nudges to the front by a smidgen

It is a Remington .36 Navy

Started life as an LS 1:1 plastic kit but 95% of it was rebuilt or altered in some way as it turned out to be a not very accurate kit - turned into a major rebuild to alter the basic shape so that it replicated the real thing

Ammo scratchbuilt and cast in resin and the cartridge box was based on a photo of a genuine one. The wooden display case was scratchbuilt from plastic card and a chopped about photo frame glass

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony