What Lacquer ?

First Name
Gary
All this talk about AK 3rd Gen led me to reading various threads about types of paint. I did enjoy spraying with Tamiy XF paint thinned with Mr Colour thinners. Seemed to go do very smooth indeed and with the window open it was OK. But then I spotted lacquer paints and I know Andy uses them a lot. But its quite hard to find a neutral recommendation. I understand the pros and cons of all the paints and being old fashioned I have always perferred the solvent based paints. But of course times change and I accept that. But considering trying some non acrylic paints so I have my own knowledge and preference

John stocks a few types but any recommendations as to which ones appreciated

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I quite like Zero paints, will be using them on my Jupiter Locomotive, the only downside is smell, face mask compulsory, but they go down well.

First Name
Gary
Thats the big downside. I can cope with the pong to a degree with the window open. But I don't mind meticulously cleaning the airbrush each time with Acrylics. I just need to take more time so my painting improves but hopefully that will come in time and a few more models. The Tamiya acrylic with Mr Colour thinners went on beautifully. And that might be a way to go. The Vallejo Air also goes on well with care and the trade off with the smell and cleanup of lacquer is an interesting one.

Although inevitable to some degree to end up with a selection of "solutions" on my shelf I'm hoping the AK3 will sit alongside my Vallejo and a few Tamiya's rather than start another product. I'm open to suggestions mind you but I don't have the space to go too mad

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I have started using lacquer paints and very impressed, i use liquid reamer (in a can) to clean the airbrush after flushing it through with thinners. About to try mr color. So far happy bunny

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Both, the paint is by mr hobbys, called mr color. The thinner is the leveller version

D

Deleted member 7181

As you know I'm a fan of Mr Color, but since I haven't tried the Tamiya lacquers yet I can't compare. The 10ml bottles are a bit of a pain but since it thins a minimum of 50/50, and I often use it 1:3 or 1:4 (paint:thinner) so it can go a long way. As an example I'm pretty sure my single bottle will complete the T-35 I'm doing, and it's a big tank with lots of area and details to paint (which wastes a lot in overspray).

MRP comes RFU (ready for use) so sprays straight out of the bottle. I still haven't used it yet but it comes highly recommended. There's an old review by BarryW on here somewhere and I believe a few of the other wingy guys use it too. Elsewhere it's almost heralded as the second coming :smiling5:

First Name
Gary
Mr Colour gets the raves thats for sure. I already have the leveler, for the Tamiya XF paint. I will give it a go, as I say, I want to try acrylic and lacquer so I feel comfortable with my choice. As I'm basically OK with the water based Acrylic it would still be nice to have a "backup"

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just got the mrp red oxide primer as mr color and Tamiya do not do a similar color (in my opinion) so will use on the StuG. Has very good feedback