What Next? suggestions welcome.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The second week in February 2020 - and already this year, I have attempted two of my 'never made' genres. The Wellington 1/9 Bust has taught me a lot, and I have another bust in the pipeline, but not yet. The Star Wars Tie Fighter built for a lad's birthday was my first sci-fi model ever, and whilst it was a good little model, it didn't want me to go out and buy another.
I then wondered what sort of model had I never attempted. I don't mean a specific model ( like a StuG! ), but what category of model?. I already tried the Toons, in our GB last year. I have had a dabble in the railway genre ( mainly Dapol ), and made many ships in my earlier modelling years. I had a think, and I could only really come up with a few! - Mechas - about which I know nothing, Hot-Rods & Drag Racers, of which my knowledge is limited to the dreadful chromed cartoon models put out by Revell, Monogram etc in the 60-70s.
I really prefer a model of something that actually existed I have looked at these:
revell cormorant.jpgrevell bucket excavator.jpg
Alas, cost and how to display this big models puts me off!
Any out of the box suggestions?
Dave

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Pity about the cost/size, as I’d love to see one of those Bucket Excavators built!
You’ve already ruled out a lot of subjects, but how about something vaguely organic, like Dinosaurs, or one of those “Attack of the Giant Cockroach” dios. Only other thing I can think of would be classic horror characters, like Frankenstein?

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Dave,

As a suggestion, might I recommend one of the new Hasegawa 1/35th kits of the following,

has66001[1].jpg
Or maybe this one,

haswm04a[2].jpg
They run about €40 retail and you may get a better deal on evilbay. There are other ones in this series too. Food for thought and something different...

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Dave
Other things that come to mind are Formula one cars and commercial vehicles....or perhaps small scale figures....the Victrix range are excellent...

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, I did a Formula One car, last year ( or was it the year before? ). I have a Tamiya Triceratops, who wanders about my bench from time to time - those diggers look like a possibility - I have a Heller little grey Fergie in the stash somewhere. Small scale figures suggests a diorama, something to think about, although display is always a problem
Dave

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
I see what you mean about the price of North Comroaant. Shame becasue it would look great a a dio with some sea under it..

what about a cross over between civilian and military - the WW1 old bill bus in army service. i have one in my stash and my idea is to build a little dio of it being fitted out by the army. So it would be painted red with all of the civilian markings but with the wooden boarding and one figure of a squadie starting to paint if khaki. On my 'to-do' list, but is a long way from getting to the top of the list.

peter

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It would be nice to see a build of that bucket wheel crusher. I've got one in the stash but I'm reluctant to start it because of the flash on the railings. I don't fancy cleaning out the many thousands of holes in them. I looked at replacing them with PE but worked out it would cost hundreds of pounds to buy. Maybe you could come up with something.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As has been mentioned before , how about a small figure ? Perhaps one of the airfix collectors series - easy enough to find on ebay and you can usually pick them up for well under a tenner . Or hows about this - i know you said you wanted a change but how about an aircraft vignette in 1/144 , im thinking the Sweet kits with a carrier deck section included , either zero , claude or wildcat , or perhaps one of the Dragon US navy aircraft and their carrier deck set, they wouldnt take up much room either .

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking at the prices the Revell Bucket Wheel & the Oil Rig fetch, ( £100+ ) I can't justify that, aside from the problems of display!
The Airfix 54mm, I had a go at a few of those ( and Historex Napoleonics ). I remember the Sweet kits vaguely, never made one, that's another idea to follow up
Cheers, Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
A real-world spacecraft perhaps? Plenty of choice there, and you could choose whether to build either just the spacecraft or including the rocket booster.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Boy, Oh boy, I've been trawling areas of the model world where I've never been before - mainly pre-owned stuff. Most of the models that catch my eye, seems to be the collectors' target, and pushes the price above what I would be happy to pay! - £30 for a Matchbox Auto Union! Paying that would remove most of the enjoyment making it! ( OK I'm a cheapskate! ). I have a few ebay items bookmarked, that will be finishing over the next few days................
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL Dave the gannet with its wings folded as you already have it I think don't you
as that's something a model ive never seen built before as I said in the other post go on go for it
chris

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Dave, I have to admire your willingness to go outside your comfort zone and then share it all with the rest of us.

Nick

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It would be nice to see a build of that bucket wheel crusher. I've got one in the stash but I'm reluctant to start it because of the flash on the railings. I don't fancy cleaning out the many thousands of holes in them. I looked at replacing them with PE but worked out it would cost hundreds of pounds to buy. Maybe you could come up with something.
HI DAVE well I don't understand you buyin it if you have no intenshions of building it or was it just an impulse buy ? an dave I don't mean to cause you offence by what ive just said.an as DAVE W has said the size of it how big is it ?
chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
At the moment, I'm going to put on my Indiana Jones hat, and venture into the uncharted territory of my stash, and see if anything really catches my eye......................................I may be gone for some time........................................
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After surviving avalanche, and attack from venomous insects ( OK, unbalanced kit boxes & house spiders ) - There are some models there that I have absolutely no recollection of buying!, I found some models that caught my eye
revell london bus.jpg
That's quite big!

heller ferguson.jpg

One of those I can't remember buying:-
emharem9011vikingsship.jpg

I'm inclining to this one - it's a few years since I made a motorbike.....................
aoshima kawasaki 750rs zii.jpg
Inside the box, I found an invoice for May, 2016 so maybe this is time to actually make it!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice haul dave and didnt cost you a penny! I like the fergie and the bike . You mention one of them being in the stash for four years , ive been thinking about getting the oldest resident of my stash out and finally doing it , i think its been in there over 10 years !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Those are fantastic to build Dave but have you tried a nuclear attack submarine or a commercial jet liner. I don't think I've seen you do a helicopter before. Do you like artillery pieces?

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
heller-ferguson-jpg.372565
OT trivia: If I’m not mistaken, there’s an episode of How It’s Made on which this kit is one of the things you see being produced.