What next.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
Joking aside I'll go along with Gary - PAK44.

Paul.
:smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good evening, spent some time thinking about the suggestions and seehave come up with what I think my be interesting idea.

Would probably be quite a large dio, in length and contents. I've done a large street scene before as Leningrad one.

Don't want the buildings to be the same, great stone clad ones but more industrial looking and slightly down market.

The scene as mentioned above, plenty of debris, bricks etc, the general destruction that a street battle brings.
the main characters

I was going to include the PAK 40 , butIMG_20190625_200516613.jpg
My military advisor tells me that it wasn't used in street fighting but that SG canon was
Do the Russians will consist of the SpG and the JS Stalin, one being knocked out, the other squaring up to the canon.
Of course there will need to be figures as well, so lots to think about looks like it could take some time.
John
Any thoughts more than welcome .

Attachments

• IMG_20190625_200802553.jpg
    IMG_20190625_200802553.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190625_200426961.jpg
    IMG_20190625_200426961.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 10

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi John,
There are pictures out there of Pak40’s in streets.....

Pretty sure that mortar is modern French though so wouldn’t use that

• Sad
Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, I think Julie did a thing at it's release.
There are also pics of PAK 43s in street fighting. I'm sure PAK43s & 44s were placed where their range advantage was useful when possible. I'm also pretty sure what ever was at hand was used wherever. Especially where heavy tanks & SPGs were attacking. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
But John has a 12,8-cm-PaK 44, not a 7,5-cm-PaK 40.

It is, you can hang it behind all kinds of post-war vehicles (my preference would be a YP-408 PWMR) but it’s not correct for the Second World War. I think John is confusing it with this weapon:

186174-12858-pristine.jpg

Also available from Zvezda, by the way. As an alternative, this one is also an option:

133638-10244-pristine.jpg

since the German weapon was an almost 1:1 copy of the Russian one anyway.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Ok Guys,

The PAK 44 was a 128mm gun and was produced by Krupp. Both Krupp and Rheinmetall built a few carriages for a towed version of this weapon with hopes of winning a contract for production. There was only one real drawback to the whole plan. Both the Krupp and Rheinmetall guns with carriages were too heavy for use as a towed piece. They both came in around 11 tons and only a 12 or 18 ton half track could tow them. The 128mm guns were used in a self propelled vehicle we know as the Jagdtiger. The 128mm could penetrate 155mm of steel at 3000 meters, but in a constant late war retreating battle these 128 mm PAKs would be almost worthless. The few prototypes built could have seen combat in April 45 in or around the areas where the factories were and/or if they even had munitions for them. In the battle for Berlin, I doubt it at all...

The 88mm PAK 43 was the major anti-tank gun both mounted on vehicles (Nashorn), Jagdpanthers, Waffenträgers (a few) and as towed or emplaced pieces. As towed pieces they were also very heavy and weighed in at 3,7 tons. The major drawback besides the weight was the length of the barrel which came in at 6,2 meters long. These were supposed to be towed by the SWS Half track, but at this point in the war, the Germans used what they had at hand.

I can't comment on the mortar, but it does look too modern and the two pics of the 12 cm's above are good. I am basing my report here on the following book,
Very informative, well researched and I don't think I would want to be in this troop of soldiers. They were well trained, very dedicated, but no way in hell would I want to go up against a KV-1 with a 37mm PAK36/37...…..

Hope this clears up any confusion about John's project.

Prost
Allen

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
“I was going to include the PAK 40”

I read the text
/me reads back

Oh yeah, he did say that. I noticed the PaK 44 in the photos :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John,

Thank's Simon.
Started the mortar this afternoon, had a slight mishap with attempting to glue some bottom parts to the gun support , due to lack of depth of field, I managed to mis align them. At least I have some debonda.
If it's modern and French !!! heaven forbid I shall cease forthwith.
May opt for the sIG-33 then ?

Want this to be in a Russian industrial area. attempting to break through.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is, I think Julie did a thing at it's release.
There are also pics of PAK 43s in street fighting. I'm sure PAK43s & 44s were placed where their range advantage was useful when possible. I'm also pretty sure what ever was at hand was used wherever. Especially where heavy tanks & SPGs were attacking. PaulE
Ah the lovely Julie, I remember her great photos Paul, and her for that matter .
Well thank you for confirming that, definitely not going to use that then :smiling2::thumb2:.

But John has a 12,8-cm-PaK 44, not a 7,5-cm-PaK 40.

It is, you can hang it behind all kinds of post-war vehicles (my preference would be a YP-408 PWMR) but it’s not correct for the Second World War. I think John is confusing it with this weapon:

View attachment 347336

Also available from Zvezda, by the way. As an alternative, this one is also an option:

View attachment 347337

since the German weapon was an almost 1:1 copy of the Russian one anyway.
Thanks for those Jakko, infact I thought that mortar was German and of the correct period, so will probably go with the weapon I mentioned to Simon..

Ok Guys,

The PAK 44 was a 128mm gun and was produced by Krupp. Both Krupp and Rheinmetall built a few carriages for a towed version of this weapon with hopes of winning a contract for production. There was only one real drawback to the whole plan. Both the Krupp and Rheinmetall guns with carriages were too heavy for use as a towed piece. They both came in around 11 tons and only a 12 or 18 ton half track could tow them. The 128mm guns were used in a self propelled vehicle we know as the Jagdtiger. The 128mm could penetrate 155mm of steel at 3000 meters, but in a constant late war retreating battle these 128 mm PAKs would be almost worthless. The few prototypes built could have seen combat in April 45 in or around the areas where the factories were and/or if they even had munitions for them. In the battle for Berlin, I doubt it at all...

The 88mm PAK 43 was the major anti-tank gun both mounted on vehicles (Nashorn), Jagdpanthers, Waffenträgers (a few) and as towed or emplaced pieces. As towed pieces they were also very heavy and weighed in at 3,7 tons. The major drawback besides the weight was the length of the barrel which came in at 6,2 meters long. These were supposed to be towed by the SWS Half track, but at this point in the war, the Germans used what they had at hand.

I can't comment on the mortar, but it does look too modern and the two pics of the 12 cm's above are good. I am basing my report here on the following book,
View attachment 347403
Very informative, well researched and I don't think I would want to be in this troop of soldiers. They were well trained, very dedicated, but no way in hell would I want to go up against a KV-1 with a 37mm PAK36/37...…..

Hope this clears up any confusion about John's project.

Prost
Allen
Thanks Dude1, so as I want it to be around the time of the Barbarossa 1941attack on it would be of the wrong time frame anyway, so the battle combatants are chosen.
On the Russian side for the Motherland we will have the SPG, maybe that Truck I will never be able to do , hit and destroyed with some infantry. V. For the Fatherland that sIG - 33 and it's crew...

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Settled then, didn't know you wanted early Ost. Her avatar used to brighten my day when it appeared. PaulE

• Love

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Waiting on stand by Commander Race

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Too bad she never found this site. I miss here as well.

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Settled then, didn't know you wanted early Ost. Her avatar used to brighten my day when it appeared. PaulE
I should have mention that Paul, but glad you mentioned that mortar. Oh I agree on Julie.:blow-kiss-2:
Well we can but dream.

Waiting on stand by Commander Race
Thanks Lee. :smiling:.

Too bad she never found this site. I miss here as well.
Why don't we email her then:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3: .

John.

I will post a new page in the diorama builds soon . Thanks for all the interest and suggestions, with maybe the exception of " Rivet Jones " for his, which quite frankly I haven't got the room for the 5000 participants let alone half the Russian army. :smiling2:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Dear John with all that stash you should do a MEGA Diorama of Kursk.... that would be AWESOME....

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dear John with all that stash you should do a MEGA Diorama of Kursk.... that would be AWESOME....
Oh not you as well Greg :smiling2:. Has Steve been messaging you ? :tongue-out3:

All will be revealed soon .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Greg has spoken. You can't ignore the rabble. To help out I will do some of the German vehicles. If all the rabble chip in with a few models each then all you have to do is a couple of hundred Russian vehicles and a thousand figures. No issue for man of your talents.

• Love