What ship first. A poll!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Dear worried of Broadmoor, ah haa me hearties!! Its just a massive floating StuG with lots of guns!! Its not all StuGs, never fear i will still bore you into a coma, do like a big floating thingy lol, a ship of course lol

king George V for me to. This was one on my bucket list along with Hood & Vanguard so it would be good to see built.
carl

Hi Carl, do not know of a new large scale Vanguard, great looking ship!

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Bob

A serious change of pace and direction

I'll choose

D

Have fun with the floaty thing

Regards

Steve H

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Boyo well you got your answer its D now can we see the box art an all the goodies inside :thinking: cant wait love this an cant believie it either from a stug to a war canoe UNBELEVIBLE :rolling:;) ps an will it be on a seascape when built ? as it will look fantastic an very powerfull especially if you fit the metal gun barrells COR WHAT A MODEL THAT WILL BE ID LOVE to build one when ive finshed what im doin
the navy lark

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Interesting to hear talk of HMS Vanguard. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a model of her. I have a tenuous link to her as well. The Pharma plant I worked in before I retired was a repurposed MOD building, originally built for servicing Centurion tanks. The plant was built on three floors, and the metal staircases between the floors, the grid floors themselves, and the floor handrails were originally obtained from HMS Vanguard when she was scrapped.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Interesting to hear talk of HMS Vanguard. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a model of her. I have a tenuous link to her as well. The Pharma plant I worked in before I retired was a repurposed MOD building, originally built for servicing Centurion tanks. The plant was built on three floors, and the metal staircases between the floors, the grid floors themselves, and the floor handrails were originally obtained from HMS Vanguard when she was scrapped.
OH Tim such a sad tale as she was a beautifull battleship one of the last great R/N battleship they had an in my opinion everything about her looked right an up our norwich pond a chap called paul roads as i think he was a seving officer on boad her built a beautifull 1/128 th model of vangaurd an everything worked on the model even had a sound system that had shouted orders to other sailors on it workin on a casstte tape system an i have some photos of it on my other old pc that i treasure as after the gent passed away i an a freind went to the actuion where it was bein sold an norwich model boat club bought it for the club
chris

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morning Bob,

I would cast my vote for E, but then I began to think about your change of model building direction.......................

Before getting your feet wet in one of these large and time consuming floaty thing kits, you might want to start out with something a bit smaller to hone your skills before going on that maiden voyage. I think the following might be just the thing to start with,

IMG_2316.JPG

Without the figures of course............This would allow you to paint some fine details in preparation of doing something larger. Next, I would take a step up and do one of these,

IMG_2315.JPG

Now here, you can practice not only your painting skills, but also your weathering skills too!!!!!..............

After doing these two, you will be 100% ready to jump feet first into a large floaty thing without fear of making any mistakes and filling the cuss jar to the brim with retirement monies..................Just a thought Sir!!!!............HTHs..........................

Prost
Allen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Morning Bob,

I would cast my vote for E, but then I began to think about your change of model building direction.......................

Before getting your feet wet in one of these large and time consuming floaty thing kits, you might want to start out with something a bit smaller to hone your skills before going on that maiden voyage. I think the following might be just the thing to start with,

View attachment 410280

Without the figures of course............This would allow you to paint some fine details in preparation of doing something larger. Next, I would take a step up and do one of these,

View attachment 410281

Now here, you can practice not only your painting skills, but also your weathering skills too!!!!!..............

After doing these two, you will be 100% ready to jump feet first into a large floaty thing without fear of making any mistakes and filling the cuss jar to the brim with retirement monies..................Just a thought Sir!!!!............HTHs..........................

Prost
Allen
OH Allen by the time Bob's built these he might want to go back to stugs an we will never see what a magnificent build of D he would have done he's just got to have confidence in his self to build it as he is a cracking modeller just my thoughts thats all
the navy lark

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nearly afternoon chaps

Many thanks to you all, just to clarify.

I WILL of course continue to build, learn and research the mighty StuG, i am NOT stopping building them! But i have decided to only concenrate on them, there support vehicles but also build warships. I am therefore selling all my other non StuG stuff apart from ships and the HE 219 nightfighter.

So its the Tamiya KGV, i have ordered a railing set, that will be all. I just want to learn as i go, a whole new game for me. I have downloaded Mike Ashleys ship books for free from his website, so reading to do!

Looking at the ship kits i am surprised that there is not a newer KGV class kit or a Vanguard a beautyfull ship.

I have been watching on YT a load of excellent videos by Drachinifel his videos cover, ships, classes of ship, battles, recently a interesting one on what may have caused the Hood to go bang!

Before i start i need to sort out my unfinished builds otherwise they will just stay there

Cheers bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you’re looking for background reading on battleships Bob then I would recommend a good work on Jutland (there are many) or “Dreadnought” by Robert Massie. They will show you that Beattie was a bit of a div, and that Jackie Fisher was certifiable. They also show that we won the battle of Jutland because there is more to naval warfare than a post battle count of ships sunk.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Tim

many thanks

on drachs site he has three videos on the phases of the battle, I really enjoyed them very interesting and yes Beatty was dangerous, by the way the avenues where I live in Cardiff are named after admirals and my avenue is yes you guessed it Beatty Avenue and around the corner is Jellicoe gardens' lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You got a little unlucky then Bob....almost got the right man. It’s better than mine though, I live in hammer street!
[/QUOTE

Too true Tim, would have prefered Cunningham close, thats next to ours!! In Cardiff you can chose from, Iron, metal, zinc st or Fanny st!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,I missed the Poll,but......
...... I was going to say "I`ll have a D please Bob"..... so i`m happy anyway!! :thumb2:
I`ll be following this one closely,always fancied having a go at a Battleship,it`s just the teeny weeny size of the things that puts me off:flushed:!
Good stuff Bob,nice to see you taking on something unusual.
Andy

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well,I missed the Poll,but......
...... I was going to say "I`ll have a D please Bob"..... so i`m happy anyway!! :thumb2:
I`ll be following this one closely,always fancied having a go at a Battleship,it`s just the teeny weeny size of the things that puts me off:flushed:!
Good stuff Bob,nice to see you taking on something unusual.
Andy
Hi Andy, got a few ships lurking in the stash and a lot of books so why not lol

Might be sailing into rough seas lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Andy, got a few ships lurking in the stash and a lot of books so why not lol

Might be sailing into rough seas lol
Bob have you looked on utube an put in navy ship sailing in rough seas wow on that on it show a modern frigate i think to small to be a destroyer but the ship at times is half out of the sea on a trough an just lookin at it made me feel seasick what a vid really brilliant
the navy lark

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob have you looked on utube an put in navy ship sailing in rough seas wow on that on it show a modern frigate i think to small to be a destroyer but the ship at times is half out of the sea on a trough an just lookin at it made me feel seasick what a vid really brilliant
the navy lark
Hi Chris

I have seen a photo of Prince of Wales i think taking Churchill to meet Roosevelt, someone side it was more like a submarine it was that bad.