What static grass to use...

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
I just received my static grass applicator today. I've never tried static grass before and I am at a loss as to which colour/size to use in my diorama(s). The diorama I am building now is 1/35 scale and includes a WWII European country road running through a village with a low grass field/plateau in the background. Can someone give me a clue as to what size of grass to use (grass also running along the side of the road) and what colour I should use? (summer season). I did some research but saw I had a choice of grasses from 2mm to 12mm :dizzy: and colours ranging from brown (burnt grass) to dark green and many in-between. (I was going to go with 6mm and medium green but thought I had better seek some advise before I make an ill-informed choice and avoid any regrets.)

Thanks. Cheers, Tom

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Tom

I've never used an applicator I'm afraid, but do use static grass tufts designed for wargamers. I would suggest starting off with the smallest size, then building it up if necessary. The colour will depend on the time of year you wish to depict - greener in winter and a bit longer and frazzled in summer.

Hopefully someone with an applicator will reply. Good luck.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tom
Not sure what applicator you have, but you will probably find it will only deal with static grass up to 6mm.
As Peter says. What size you use depends upon what effect you are trying to achieve. In 1/35 an inch is equivalent to about 0.75 mm so 6mm static grass represents about 8 inches of growth. Wild grasses are not all the same length, so you really need to get a rough grass effect. The best way to do this is to use more than one size of static grass,, starting with the shorter grass, and layer the longer stuff over the top. Observation of the real world is the key!
As to colours, well, that’s really up to you.
I have had good results with War World Scenics (here)
but there are many other makes. Also try John at Scale Model Shop to see what he stocks. I’m sure others will have their own recommendations.
Have fun, and remember you can trial this off the model to see if you like the effect before committing to the final result.
Tim

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Advice above is good, i would also get several similar shades. If you look at any area of grass there is variation and it will look more realistic if there is some variation in your diorama.

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
Fella's... thanks for your replies - great advice to get me started. I've learned more from your responses to my question than I did in researching YouTube etc. for hours. :hugging-face:
It's off to the work bench to practice!

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello Tom,
The most used static grass is either 6 or 12 mm and you can get it in differing colours.
My method.
Take some of the grass from each of your shades and sizes and mix them all together untill you get close to the shade you are looking for.
I would also get hold of some 'moss' and mix this in with some fine garden dirt, or if you do not have a garden, sweep the gutter for a few yards/meters and collet and seive that through a tea strainer. And while collecting it, keep muttering "damn dogs/squirrels/cats" because you will get strange looks from the neighbours....:rolling:. As a quickie fix, for moss you can use the dust from your grass as a starter.
Put some white glue/pva onto a small area, stick a pin into it and then attach the clip, pour some grass into the dispenser and turn it on as per the instructions.
NOW! If by chance it does not work as advertised, then put it into the tools I bought but will never use section.
Method two (it works)
Put some pva onto your base, do not go mad about 50x50mm take a handfull of your grass and let it fall onto the area covered, then with what is left in your hand put that on the base and gently tamp it down. Once that is done turn the base upside down and allow the lose to drop onto a sheet of paper, you can use the grass again. Then using a tea spoon load it with 'moss' and sprinkle over what you have just done and repeat the upside down onto another sheet of paper, then leave to dry while you do other areas.
After about half an hour of tamping and turning get the vacuum out and the round nozzle that is attached to the brush head will be used next. Take a fine cloth (handkerchief), wrap this over the end of the nozzle and hold it tight otherwise it will go up the vacuum.
Then play the nozzle over the new laid grass at a height of about 10 mm. this will suck up the loose grass/moss and after a minute turn off the vacuum and remove the cloth and then empty what has been collected onto your paper. Experience will tell you how close you can get to the base, and you will also see the grass start to stand up and as you move the nozzle so you can add wind movement to the grass.
The pic below might help you out, in the mix are 'leaves' and three types and sizes of grass as well as moss.
LRdone5.jpg
Cheers,
Mike.