a sailing ship with lots of rigging and loads of little cannons to paint

P

Polux

Maybe you can buy it on eBay....a super offer!!! You know...15p lol

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Airfix Merlin Helicopter.
Took me about 6 months. 335 parts. Best model I have ever built. Well detailed and a joy to build. It does need forethought as how to go about construction ie as ever do not follow necessarily construction part by part. Plan your own way of constructing and painting.

One of the nice things with this model is that the inside of the helicopter is very detailed and on completion has two large cargo doors and a ramp to see into the interior.

Very unusual is that the fuselage has an inner skin and an outer skin.

You can see the result here. http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/merlin-1-48-helicopter-afganistan-mode.29072/

Laurie

Also did a build you can see the detail here

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/merlin-hc3-airfix-1-48-afganistan.19993/
I am tempted to try the helicopter but find it a bit daunting, it looks very complicated. Considering I have just started do you think I should leave it for a while or just go for it?

K

Keithmayes

Problem solved, my wife has decided! I was considering the Avro Lancaster bomber as an alternative to the helicopter. My wife pointed out that her late father worked on the Lancasters during the war, he had to sign them off as fit to fly after they had been repaired following mission damage. Seems he worked on a lot of different planes and would often fly on them and the Lancaster was his favourite. That's it, decision made. I think it makes sense anyway, it will give me useful experience before tackling the more demanding Merlin helicopter. As soon as I have finished my Space Shuttle I will make a start on the Lancaster. I'm glad that has all been decided!

Many thanks for all the suggestions put forward. Cheers. Keith.

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

Nice choice, and for the record, it can be brush painted, just get some practice in on bottles first. My dad made me a 1/72 Sunderland when i was a kid, he brush painted the camo on it, and it was immaculate and beautiful. He was a doctor, and all he had built before was a Stuka and a Ju88. My only advice is to research with maker's kit you go for - I am wary of some of the older models, after starting on a 1/32 Revell P51(which was a gift). It was a complete dog of a model, and deffo NOT for beginners! Folks around here will know what the score is!

J

John Rixon

Oh yeah, and get yourself to Duxford if you can, walking around their Lanc will fuel you with awe and respect for the beast!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
If you don't like doing cameo you can try researching say North Ameican P-51 Mustang in 1/32 or 1/48 and do it as a racer. Lots of p51 ended as racers after the war

Robert

D

demon

My choice would be a dragon 350 scale uss Benson kit because there are a lot of parts but we all have different likes