What to buy/What to avoid

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Been looking on various model sites with a view to increasing my stash. I never knew there were so many different manufacturers.

Some I have heard of but some, never heard of them. So far I have only built airfix or Tamiya. Are there any that should be avoided?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Like all things in life, some are better than others. As to there being a brand that you should avoid.... Even some of the great manufacturers have produced a dog from time to time. 

D

Deleted member 3568

The only really bad kit I ever bought was the Heller Kawasaki K1 (SEE PIC)

C3dyHkh.jpg

8OiJxfV.jpg

zJ0Rokf.jpg

aWAeqwN.jpg

It turned out OK in the end , having said that Heller also produce some absolutely incredible kits 

jvk1Dbt.jpg

I think you pays your money you take your chances, if looking for a specific kit I would suggest checking reviews of said kit, personally Heller kits are outstandingly good (that one example apart) however their customer care is none existent. 

D

dubster72

What Ian says is exactly right! Plus it all depends on your personal preference - some people enjoy the challenge of an ill-fitting kit, others like me prefer those who are well-engineered.

Whatever kit grabs your interest, research it before shelling out your cash. Scalemates is an excellent source information & reviews.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I don't think any manufacturer has a catalogue of perfect kits, although some have better track records than others. Don't go by price either as that is not necessarily a good marker - especially if they're advertised as 'classic' or 'vintage'. Lots of old kits carry high prices as they're more for collectors than builders.

Like Patrick says, look at reviews for the particular kit you're interested in. Even then, you can run into problems with variations between the reviews with one saying it's brilliant and another complaining it's rubbish.

Amazing really how many cans of worms we have to deal with in this hobby of ours ....

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks very much guys. It seems like we could have a sideline hobby of researching kits before buying.

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I am pleased the bike worked out in the end Ken. I've never seen anything that bad before. Well done for sticking it out. I think it would have fed the bin if it was mine.

D

Deleted member 3568

No that's the worst I've ever had, but like I say they also make some incredible kits.