What type of sub

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi all i fancy doing a sub but i want the type in the film/mini series das boot so the question is which one is it hope you can help me i fancy doing it because its my favourate war film :please:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Ian,

Wiki says it is a Type VIIC class U-boat.

I'm no expert and with Wiki's rep for mis-information.

This is the nearest I can get.

Tony

C

CDW

I concur with Tony, all the info available on the net say it's a Type VII-C U-boat (U96)

Incidentally it also says the models built for Das Boot were also the ones used in Raiders of the Lost Ark .... cool eh?

*Edit*

Just been onto my local model shops site and Revell seem to have the monopoly on the submarine model market

They do the VII-C in .......

1/350 ... about £9

1/144 ... about £15

1/72 ... about £55 (have been looking at this one for some time, it's a cracker ... about 36 inches long when built and there's a set of Revell 1/72 german navy personel figures available to add to make a nice "on deck" diorama for just over £6 )

Last edited:
C

CDW

would certainly add an extra little "something" to the build eh Ian?

I've got my hands full with that Prometheus SIG jobbie at the mo, but this sub's definitly on my "next get list" ... i quite like 1/72.

Another thing i noticed in the 1/72 Revell was that it included details for the U69 ... not too much trouble to swap round for the 96 is it ... that is if i'm right and the decals indicate the number?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I know what you mean but its getting hold of the saw fish that goes with it i will have to look for some after market decals or try and paint it free hand.

C

CDW

You could have a go at just printing the sawfish out, there's quite a few images available on t'interweb.

Most new printers will be able to handle very low weight paper, in fact i've printed on paper less than the weight of tissue paper in the past, even rice paper can take ink with very minimum bleeding.

Worth thinking about if you can't get the decal?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I will look at the decal sheet in mine, I think the swordfish is on the sheet.IanM

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ian ive just put a bid on ebay for the model a couple of days left on that one if i dont get it looks like a search on the internet

C

CDW

Good luck in winning it Ian,

I've re-read all the reviews and build blogs on this and it looks a cracker to build, there's very, very few negative points for the model mentioned in them.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Ian,

You might not be to upset if you dont win the auction. I have heard that its being re-released again in the near future.

There is a ton of after-market bits for it if you wish to go that path. I will also mention that the figures from Revell are good but of the soft soft plastic. A day in the freezer will help with the clean up.

I did have loads of links for all the bits, about three PC's ago. I will see if I can fine some of them again.

Might be a while before I can look at the decal sheet for you. My one is at the bottom of a rather large pile of kits!!!

I will report back as soon as.'

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The first place you might want to look at is this one.

Most Popular Emblems - German U-boat Emblems of WWII - Kriegsmarine - uboat.net

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Many thanks for your help Ian im planning on getting the after market gear to go with it. I want to do a real good build on this one so it may take some time to get everything together but when i start i will do a full WIP on here if every one is happy for me to

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I for one will be most disappointed if you didn't!

Ian M

C

CDW

The models been released as far as i'm aware Ian(M), my local modelshop in Edinburgh had the Sub on there for pre order for some time stating the release date was mid October. They now have the Sub on the site for sale normally at £53.99 (10% off RRP) They state that it's a "generally new mould".

Ian(papa), I'd appreciate a build thread as well, i'm intent on getting this myself in the near future so hints, tips and WIP piccies would be great as this will be my first proper attempt at a sub.

A

AJay

Ian, if you haven't found it yet, this site might be of some interest to you:

http://www.uboat.net/