What wire for detailing?

T

Twinny123

Hi everyone,

I am looking at adding some extra detail in the cockpit and engine bays, and was trying to find out which types of wire, or other material is best for this.

I've seen thin piano wire, but wanted to know if this is easy to shape?

I'm looking for something that is easy to shape, and wont spring back once bent, so any suggestions will be most helpful!

Thanks!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Liam, the copper wire from the innards of electric cable is superb. Any size you want.

Free too! Me happy...:smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
visit somewhere like hobbycraft or the range......look at wire for making jewellery with......comes in all sorts of gauges and colours

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've also heard of people using fuse wire, which comes in various guages.

First Name
Alex
You could probably use solder, that can come in a variety of sizes but very delicate. Otherwise see if you have some old cables lying around and strip the copper out. Some of the multicore cables have very thin wire in as i discovered once when i broke a pair of headphones

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
........see if you have some old cables lying around and strip the copper out. Some of the multicore cables have very thin wire in as i discovered once when i broke a pair of headphones

That's a good idea, Alex.......:tongue-out3::thumb2:!

T

Twinny123

Cheers for the help!
Managed to find some old wires so think I’ll be using them!
I’ll make sure I post some pictures of my build!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I would second using lead wire due to how easy it is to shape. It has no tensile strength so some of the other suggestion would be best in area that are vulnerable or where some strength is needed.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fuse wire , copper wire stripped from old cables , guitar strings , solder , i ve used all these and each has its own merits, fuse wire has the advantage of being dirt cheap and usually comes with a selection of thicknesses ( amperage) on the card

C

cybershed

Also, wire for fly-tying. Can be sourced from most fishing tackle shops

B

baz

Hello Twinny 123,
I will just throw this one in the chat, old telephone cable wire is very good its sometimes multi core and is thin strong and stays in place when bent solder is also one of the best as has already been said in the thread by many other the people in the forum,
as a scratch builder I use what ever I think does the job fro what ever source.

regards Barrie ( the old guy )

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another electrical wire user here. Can be used for anything.
telephone cable normally has several cores. can be a pita to strip. Easier to run a knife flat along it and them strip.
Multistrand wire comes in many different thicknesses of strands, as does single core wire. (I have from 0,3 right up to 10mm!)
It is also very good at building wire ropes with....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another good tip/trick but for the yellow and black loops over the ejector seats:
Yellow (or orange) and black cotton. run them through some glue; PVA, works. Then twist them together until they 'look right' You can also wrap then wrap it around a bit of thin rod and let it dry. Thus you can just clip a few off at a time and they are ready to go...

First Name
Gwyn
Same as most others I have used lead wire and copper stripped from electrical wire.