What you can do with the ancient Airfix kits

B

Braille- dave

Hi all,

I'm new to the site so I'm kind of setting out my stall as it were:

The venerable (aka 40yrs plus) Airfix AEC Refueller, modded slightly to present an earlier version.

I've added a vacuum tank, rear mudguard stays, spare wheel carrier and wing mirrors and changed the roof profile.

The paint scheme represents an 1941 scheme, using Khaki-green no3 and Light Green no5. The colours were mixed according to Mike Starmers guide. Weathering was done with artist's pastels.

And the other example in the kit

The bedford QL- The big problem with the kit is it represents a post war version. So I've modded it to present an Butterfields 950gall refueller. Mainly by leaving off the booms and adding various things like access ladders and lockers to the chassis. Added wing mirrors and quarterlight post, and thinned down the mudguards.

Painted to represent a hard-worked 2TAF refueller on an airstrip in northern France- so a bit muddier and dustier. Underneath that is a late war Olive-drab and Blue-black colour scheme.

T

Tone M

Welcome along Dave :smiling3:

I like how these have come out, great work :D

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum and great work!

Ian M

L

Laurie

Welcome to SMF Dave (B) (there are other Daves). Terrible people here but you get used to it. :eek:

Very nice models. Fascinated with pastels. Got them but really have not a clue how to apply them. Perhaps you could start another article on how you use and apply them. Have tried but found with out sucess and when finishing with a matt varnish they tend to disappear.

Laurie

B

Braille- dave

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your kind comments. I'll certainly think about the pastels thing- Maybe when I get to that stage with another model, I'll do a photo article.

D

Doug Hughes

Wonderful - the old art of building, improving and converting small kits is not yet dead! One lovely touch that stands out for me is the slightly shiny look of the tyres on the AEC - very realistic.

B

Braille- dave

Hi doug,

I made my own tyre colour- using Humbrol 85 Satin Coal Black & 67 Matt Tank Grey in a rough ratio of 8:2.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Very nice Dave, great work. Welcome to the forum.

Si:smiling3: