Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great Toon.
What Paul said.... but it belongs in the completed section. ;)

Been seeing quite a few posts in here that are bordering on the mini build side of things.
I believe the idea behind this section was just to post a quick (read brief) update on what you are up to, but you feel does not warrant a build thread.
Photos of finished builds belong in the relevant section.
Grump attack over.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
So for 2022 just a little start with this one
QUrOP4n.jpg

After a few days work I have this, one side of tracks, and engine and gear box
TL6vXZv.jpg

I am also trying to paint some figures again, so have this on the bench too, Flag over Berlin.
rRJEFOH.jpg

I am having problems finding the colour of the stone work on the Reichstag though!
The photos of it in the late 70's show it to be very brown but that could be neglect as it was left by the East Germans/Russians to fall down.
All the earlier photos and the Russian propaganda photos and film are either B/W or colourised, which is grey!
Once I have a definite colour I shall get the brushes out.
I am still trying to make some progress on the figures, the heads are just blobs of resin, so off to Hornet for some replacements!
Regards
Steve H

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Thanks Steve

The "new" HobbyBoss kits has some flash which the old TriStar doesn't, I guess the moulds are getting on a bit as they took over the TriStar range.

I have seen several films/videos/pictures, even the pre-censored one where the Russian soldier is wearing 2 watches, but nothing that will give me a real colour match Tim.

Brown seems just "wrong", so if I can't get a definitive answer, it will have to be artistic license.

Now to get those pesky figures sorted out

Regards

Steve H

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks Steve

The "new" HobbyBoss kits has some flash which the old TriStar doesn't, I guess the moulds are getting on a bit as they took over the TriStar range.

I have seen several films/videos/pictures, even the pre-censored one where the Russian soldier is wearing 2 watches, but nothing that will give me a real colour match Tim.

Brown seems just "wrong", so if I can't get a definitive answer, it will have to be artistic license.

Now to get those pesky figures sorted out

Regards

Steve H
surely modern pictures of the restored building will be close to the original colour?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Not necessarily, I think. Who knows how much grime was cleaned off it when the building was thoroughly refurbished to house the Bundestag? But the modern colour might be the best starting point, certainly if you can’t find pre-war colour pictures of it.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Thanks chaps
The following images are for reference only
Xgqf4dQ.jpg

uDWKJFH.jpg

zN1gikP.jpg

y20ykls.jpg

You can see my problem!

Regards

Steve H

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Here's a couple I took in 2006:
Berlin 017.jpgBerlin 018.jpg
I don't know if that helps. Personally I would expect that in wartime they'd have been covered in soot from coal fires and the smoke from burning buildings, so much darker.
Pete

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I visited Tempelof Airport in Berlin and there is some serious colour change as a direct result of fire in WW2 above these windows.
Who knew?
I'm not saying it's the same stone as the Reichstag but I think it shows that you have a lot of leeway and artistic license SteveTempelhof  (60).JPG

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Thanks Pete, Neil, Steve

Right, looks like light beige sandstone with liberal soot & grime staining.

I have a starting point and appreciate the group input.

Once the weather warms up a little, time for some base coats with the AB

Until then the figures to prep and the Pz I to get rolling

More soon?

Regards

Steve H

Status
Not open for further replies.