What's on the Bench? 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Rick, where'd you get the louvers from? Looks great.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Paul, I got them off an old Athaern locomotive shell....think it was an SD45.....I couldnt just cut them to size and glue them on, they have to be let in and flushed with the outside of the hood.......lots of drilling, cutting and filing. Good news, they are available as a super detail part from that large Model Railroad supply house in Milwaukee, Wi. (other supply houses available) Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick, I think I have an old SD45 SantaFe shell. Good source for cabinet doors also as I recall.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
OK then, for Andrew so he can use leverage and stop his wife complaining......here is the core of my paint collection......

View attachment 420284
Main block of Vallejo model colour....set out as on the colour chart for easy reference.....
View attachment 420285
The rest of the model colour plus the majority of the technic paints such as metallics, washes, and transparent colours.....I need another of these stands as I’ve outgrown this one.....
View attachment 420286
More technicals and specials....the model airs are because I want to try them properly now I’ve got Vallejo flow improver....the game colours are inks.

View attachment 420287
First really useful box full of enamels and some xtracrylics.....

View attachment 420288
Second really useful box of enamels that I dropped when setting them up for the photos...there are some old humbrols acrylics in there as well....I don’t use these any more, but they are all useable and most are like really old friends so I don’t want to ditch them....

View attachment 420289
A couple of RUBs of Tamiya paint, with a few Mr colour thrown in....these are used exclusively for airbrush work....the R denotes those already diluted for use.

View attachment 420290
A few odds and bits, mostly inks, plus the heavy body acrylics I mainly use for scenery and buildings....

View attachment 420291
Oils, quite a few there, most at least twenty years old now. Occasionally use these for figures as they give more vibrant colours than model paints. Mostly used for weathering though.....

View attachment 420292
The brush collection (well you didn’t think it was just paint did you?). I have another brush holder on the way, but it’s coming by slow boat from China! I will then set up one for rough brushes (dry brushing, stippling, mixing etc) and one for best work brushes....

Lastly this is how it all fits above the desk......
View attachment 420293
The top shelf is lesser used stuff, like primers, sprays, solvents, Alclads etc....all the RUBs etc are on the second shelf....

I have a few others, such as emulsion tester pots in a drawer that only get used for wargames scenery so I’ve not pictured them....

This is around forty years worth of collecting paints Etc. I could probably get by with a quarter of these but they don’t eat anything and I’ve got the room so why throw them....besides, there are some unique jobs that each type of paint excels at. I might only use them once or twice a year, but if I don’t have them, I can’t use them at all....

Hope this helps your case Andrew...
Tim,

The boxes the Tamiya paints are in, where do you get them? They are exactly what I need for the auxillary storage area.

James

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim,

The boxes the Tamiya paints are in, where do you get them? They are exactly what I need for the auxillary storage area.

James
Hi James
They are just bog standard “Really useful” boxes. Ryman’s are a good source if you have one near you, but otherwise they are easily found in other places.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not much really but some paint has landed on the dio base .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Cheers Dave. Really appreciate the comment. It was a lot of fun to do which always helps. ;) :thumb2:

Status
Not open for further replies.