First Name
Paul
Send me a pic, my grandaughter translates some Japanese. PaulE

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have a couple of WW2 relics that have Japanese inscriptions on them and was looking for translation help
https://translate.google.com/ — set the language on the left to Japanese, and you can click on the Japanese character at bottom right of the text entry field to give you the option of writing the text. This gives you a field in which you can use your mouse to draw the characters you see (one at a time). Results are not guaranteed, but if it doesn’t come up with the right one, you can erase it and start again, which often helps.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Paul.......will get some pics and pm to ya. Rick H.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Jakko......I'm afraid that's a little beyond my paltry computer skills. If you would like to have a go at it I would be happy to pm a couple of shots to you as well. Rick H.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you would like to have a go at it I would be happy to pm a couple of shots to you as well. Rick H.
Sure, send me some photos and I’ll see if I can make Google make something of it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Pm on it's way to you also Paul I hope You and Jakko can sort this out for me. Rick H. :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
:tears-of-joy: I don't even know what Mooshi Mooshi means...Arigato Gozaimas is some sort of thank you I think. :smiling3: Sorry can't help you there Rick. Why not post an image of the inscription to me and I'll get one of my friends to look at it. He has a smitter of Japanese and the writing is quite similar to the Chinese characters.

Cheers,
Richard

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
:tears-of-joy: I don't even know what Mooshi Mooshi means...

its a sort of greeting when answering a phone, or when you answer a phone and its for someone one else you say ' Kenji-San.......mooshi moosh' to get thier attention

spent far too long working for too many japanese companies lol

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Update so far this week as follows.....
Doggies are pretty much complete and just need the riders adding and the sabot base painting.....

92077D95-9A35-4257-AED0-E3ECD8BFED13.jpeg

The riders are painted and just waiting on varnish and mounting on the doggies....
795F5295-3723-43F4-815D-C8912B6449C2.jpeg
I still have to do the standard as well.....

Nest up are the twenty Goblin spearman. Got a new tool to hold these for painting though.....l
2E004FE0-781A-4272-9136-9F384243CB99.jpeg
I’ve been blue tacking figures to golf tees for painting for a number of years. They are then easy to handle for priming and I don’t have to touch the figure. However, I recently thought of an improvement that will save a few minutes......and the time saved is better used on more interesting tasks....

The figures are usually mounted on 1 or 2 pence pieces. This gives more stability to the lightweight plastic figures, and also allows me to safely transport them in a Really Useful Box fitted with a magnetic sheet.
I thought about this, and realised that I could cut out the blue tack part if I magnetised the golf tees....I therefore purchased some 10mm button magnets and araldited them to the tees. Seems to work. The tees are holding the figures securely but they are still easy to remove. Metal miniatures, being heavier, may need a little more adhesion. Time will tell......

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks for your kind words Steve. I’ll show them again once the final touches are done and they are riding the doggies to victory!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Steve there Tim. A lot of work gone into those.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Those are deffo the "Dog's" Tim! :thumb2: What do you varnish them with when they are finished?. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Agree with Steve there Tim. A lot of work gone into those.
Many thanks John. Work wise, about an hour prep per wolf and rider, then about an hour each for painting. Basing and finishing is about another hour for all five. I would say these five will be the result of around twenty hours work all in when they are table ready.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Those are deffo the "Dog's" Tim! :thumb2: What do you varnish them with when they are finished?. Rick H.
Hi Rick
Varnish is as follows....
Gloss coat of Klear or Humbrol gloss applied by brush. Followed by a brushed coat of Daler Rowney Matt varnish. The last stage is to add the glint to the metals with a highlight metallic coat where appropriate.
The idea is that gaming pieces take a fair bit of handling. Gloss varnish wears better than Matt, so if the figures start going glossy they will be able to revarnished in Matt before the paint finish is damaged.
The Riders do not yet have either varnish coat on them, by the way.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
For my purposes this would be a bit over the top then. If you were just going to display them, what would be your varnish of choice to seal the Vallejo colors and give the most realistic appearance? Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nicely done Tim on the figures and dogs. I've lost patience repeating groups of soldiers in the same dress. Also I have solved that by painting the figures individually like you have to get some variation which I didn't in my Pacific dio. Will have to revisit that and tint separately.
The golf tees are a nifty idea. I've got boxes of spares stashed away that will be used.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Richard
Many thanks for the compliments, and I’m glad you like the golf tee idea. It’s probably the only good thing to come out of golf!
The best way to get variation into groups of figures is to use a wet palette and adjust your mixes as you go along. You can then use different darks and lights to vary the shadows and highlights or add warmer or cooler colours to tint the base. As long as you use the same base colour they will still tie together well and all fit visually.

Status
Not open for further replies.