Robert
I don't believe it!!!!!!

I put my glasses down and i spilt a bit of super glue on the lense

I've tried IPA to move it but no joy

Any ideas

Robert

First Name
Jimbob
Not an expert on this but I have had success with placing the item in the freezer for an hour or so take it out and with most cyanoacrylate glue it's very brittle it comes off easily might be a bit risky with glass though hope you find a solution.

Jim

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
Acetone will remove the glue but might damage the lens, assuming it's a plastic lens. Nitro methane also works but can be a bit difficult to come by. I don't think the nitro would hurt the lens though.

RG

First Name
Robert
Well the wife just clocked me and well I have to get a new lens in them ( frames are ok and my local opticians has my script should be about £30 ( ouch ) my fault though

Now just to keep her sweet I'll have to buy her lunch tomorrow or something!!!:eek::eek::eek::oops::oops:

D

Deleted member 3568

Oops your lucky though I was topping a bottle up with another and hadn't noticed some was running down the outside of the bottle ( was doing this whilst sitting in the living room watching telly ) suddenly felt my lap getting warm then rapidly getting hot, I noticed the puddle of glue on my lap, started to whip my trousers off and they were stuck to my pants so they came off too, it's a good job I never waited any longer or the glue may have got somewhere I definitely wouldn't have wanted.

Strangely for some reason super glue gets very hot when in contact with material. A reaction I will be eternally greatful for.

First Name
Robert
Well luckily I have 3 pairs of the same prescription and this pair was an old pair ( but my wife not happy )

True about it getting warm aswell, as I was putting some pe on a model and ca went under my finger and it burnt pretty bad but I rinsed it under a tap for 20 mins and it was ok.

Now I wear surgical gloves when I'm using the stuff ( they can be thrown away once icky

Robert

S

stuart.c.82

Nail polish remover... Soak it over night and it should soften by morning and be like soft plastic.... Can't see it hurting your lenses.

F

Fenlander

I rember years ago, we had a cheap nylon carpet and a thread pulled. To stop it running, I dropped superglue on it and it started smoking, scared the life out of me....

F

Fenlander

Also, I have read on a forum wher they use a 'superglue de bonder' to clean off any overspill of superglue on models but what that is or where you get it, I have no idea.

D

Deleted member 3568

Nail polish remover is basically cellulose thinners, if your lenses are glass great if plastic oops

First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nail polish remover is basically cellulose thinners, if your lenses are glass great if plastic oops
Yeah they plastic but after I calmed the wife down made her coffee.........I'll just take them in tomorrow and say look what I did ( how much ?) walk out a bit lighter and go buy the wife something nice all good ( I hope )

I tried IPA / Tamiya thinners and WS but nah they are f##### in one lense.. My bad

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Yeah they plastic but after I calmed the wife down made her coffee.........I'll just take them in tomorrow and say look what I did ( how much ?) walk out a bit lighter and go buy the wife something nice all good ( I hope )
I tried IPA / Tamiya thinners and WS but nah they are f##### in one lense.. My bad
Yep my other half as confirmed new lense is the only remedy (manager vision-express) :sad:

T

treyzx10r

Ca debonder (un-cure) is available on line, several companies make it. This stuff actually works really good,it even debonded a ca glue joint on soft balsa that was very deeply penetrated with ca.

R_G

Member left By Request
Has left the Building
First Name
Ralph
At one time most CA Debonders were actually nitro methane. Older finger nail polish remover had acetone in it. These days I don't think they use acetone in polish remover anymore, at least not here in the states. Here's a link to a debonder discussion if anyone is interested.

RG

R

Rick Reid

I was gonna say the Freezer but GermanJim beat, if it's my fingertips, I'll take my Xacto knife, flake off the bigger stuff, then I'll take my sanding block and do a little sanding on my finger. That won't work for your glasses though.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Strangely for some reason super glue gets very hot when in contact with material. A reaction I will be eternally greatful for.
Superglues always give off heat as they harden. The chemical reaction involved is 'exothermic' for those that care. We all know superglue goes off quickly but in certain circumstances, when an accelerator is used, or if it comes into contact with chemicals that will act as accelerants, it goes even quicker. The same amount of energy (heat) is given off quicker, hence it gets hotter.

If you spill a significant amount on a suitable material, like your trousers (or an expensive cashmere jumper) a lot of heat can be generated very quickly. When SWMBO found the jumper heat equivalent to a small nuclear device was generated.

In the UK quite a few nail varnish removers still contain acetone. Acetone is present in some cellulose thinners as well, but they invariably contain other solvents too.

Cheers

Steve