Wheels support during painting.

A

Awins

Guys im trying to find something that is slightly tapered at the end to insert into the centre of vehicle wheels. Hopefully this slight taper will hold the wheels allowing you to manipulate the wheel during painting and also provide a support that you could push into foam etc while drying.

Ive tried cocktail sticks with bluetak but it is not very good.

Any ideas or suggestions please.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Stretch a piece of sprue, not too much, and then cut at the thinnest part to give tapered supports for a couple of wheels. With a bit of practice you can easily make a support to suit the hole on most aircraft type wheels.

Cheers

Steve

J

John Rixon

I'm with the cocktail stick / BBQ skewers and blu tac, you have just got to get the right amount of blutac, I've recently had 44 individual wheels to paint on my Tiger, with 3 different hole diameters, depending upon where they are located, sticks and blutac worked fine, but you have to get it right, and it took about 2 hours to prepare the sticks and add the blob of blutac!!! Worth it in the end, as they had multiple coats of paint and filters, plus the rubber tyres! The advantage of Blutac is that it also masks where the paired wheels will be glued together after painting.

First Name
Gwyn
I find paintbrush handles are brilliant for holding wheels for painting

Gwyn

H

Hellcat

Wooden tapered dental sticks. They are flat but tapered on the edges.  Just cut on the taper at the point where they will fit.

Or, if you have them, the thin tapered cotton buds.