When to paint on boards tools etc

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon all

Never been really too sure when to paint the tools, exhaust etc on a Tank, ok hands up a StuG ;)

Do you paint them same time as the top coat, modulation and before varnish is applied

or do you paint them after varnishing and filters, washes etc??

thanks bob

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
In my case, before varnish and pin washes. I find the pin wash sharpens the edges and makes them pop a bit. Weathering is last in my case, and has to be over tools etc as well....

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
In my case, before varnish and pin washes. I find the pin wash sharpens the edges and makes them pop a bit. Weathering is last in my case, and has to be over tools etc as well....
Thanks Tim

That was my way of thinking, but thinking gives me a headache lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If they’re in the same colour as the vehicle, I paint them before shading and highlighting. Otherwise, I paint them after that, but generally when they’re already stuck to the vehicle (which I normally do before painting). Weathering always comes after that, because like Tim says, it should go “over” the tools, normally anyway.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
As Tim says but dont forget to use your oils to enhance the look during the weathering process. Here are some basic oils you may want to try. Give the wooden handles a light oil wash of Van Dyke Brown or similar dark brown in your oils and a little bit of shading by the clamps and metal heads ie axe, shovel etc with Raw Umber (Dirt in a tube). A bit of dust on the metallic parts like shovels and axes using Buff or Dust from Abteilung 502 or a similar colour in your collection. Once all the oil work is done give the metal edges and clamp edges a brush with Dark Steel pigments to make them pop a little. Tools are great fun to paint on the model but can be very awkward so always use Post It labels or Tamiya tape to mask off the main body in case of accidents. As for exhausts there are several ways of doing it. Try and use acrylic rust washes to build up layers of colour including the black soot deposits. Once dry add a final wash of Smoke to blend it all together. When doing the oils add a wash of Burnt Sienna oil (Rust in a tube) to finish the exhausts off. Experiment and have fun. Fine detail painting is one of the areas of modelling I really enjoy. Happy modelling mate.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If they’re in the same colour as the vehicle, I paint them before shading and highlighting. Otherwise, I paint them after that, but generally when they’re already stuck to the vehicle (which I normally do before painting). Weathering always comes after that, because like Tim says, it should go “over” the tools, normally anyway.
Many thanks Jakko!
As Tim says but dont forget to use your oils to enhance the look during the weathering process. Here are some basic oils you may want to try. Give the wooden handles a light oil wash of Van Dyke Brown or similar dark brown in your oils and a little bit of shading by the clamps and metal heads ie axe, shovel etc with Raw Umber (Dirt in a tube). A bit of dust on the metallic parts like shovels and axes using Buff or Dust from Abteilung 502 or a similar colour in your collection. Once all the oil work is done give the metal edges and clamp edges a brush with Dark Steel pigments to make them pop a little. Tools are great fun to paint on the model but can be very awkward so always use Post It labels or Tamiya tape to mask off the main body in case of accidents. As for exhausts there are several ways of doing it. Try and use acrylic rust washes to build up layers of colour including the black soot deposits. Once dry add a final wash of Smoke to blend it all together. When doing the oils add a wash of Burnt Sienna oil (Rust in a tube) to finish the exhausts off. Experiment and have fun. Fine detail painting is one of the areas of modelling I really enjoy. Happy modelling mate.
Thanks yet again Steve, have some oils, will have a look
HB pencil is also great for highlighting metal edges, wear on tracks etc.....
Thanks Tim
2B or not 2B that is the question

Taxi for Jones!:smiling3:
Coat for Jones, thats Coat for Jones;)

D

Deleted member 5496

Depends on circumnstaces Bob & & how you want them to look. You do not want an exaust speckled with a wash. Needs it's own paint film & effects. Just how it grabs you.

Small bit, knock off bits, are my last port of call. Bringing out detail also the last. You can apply effects to these pieces , for me, much better as singular items.

No rules or discipline just how it suits the model maker.

Evening all

Laurie