When you've finished painting...

First Name
Matt
Hi all, looking for advice. When you've finished painting your figure, vehicle or bust etc. what do you do, leave the model as is or protect with a varnish of sorts? I'm fairly new so not sure what i should be doing, all help greatly appreciated.
I'm a brush man not got into airbrushing yet (although..about 25 years ago i did airbrush a white/black Star Wars stormtrooper and cant for the life of me remember what i did and what equipment i used, i had just had an operation, maybe i was off my head on drugs! :tongue-out3:)

Cheers
Matt

Reactions: JR

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Normally I gloss varnish to seal the paint then decals and the gloss varnish to seal them and what ever finish is needed ie: Be it Matt or gloss

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Like Peter, I paint then gloss varnish, decals, the varnish of choice as I do mainly WWII aircraft I usually Use a satin varnish.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Peter and Dave, gives that protective film.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Also agree. My regime is as follows; gloss varnish, then decals, then gloss Again, then pin wash, then Matt Varnish, then weathering.....
I even use this on my wargames figures, though in that case I Gloss varnish followed by Matt varnish. I leave out the pin wash and decals....
The only time I don’t do this is on large scale busts. Varnish on them is limited to colours that dry shinier than expected (frequently blues).

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I hardly ever use varnish on a display model, except if it’s shiny and I want it matt (or possibly vice versa, but that’s very rare with the kinds of models I build :smiling3:). Wargames models I normally put a layer of matt varnish over; metal gaming figures get a coat of gloss varnish and then matt, because gloss is much more durable but looks bad.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
everything gets an appropriate coat of varnish over the top......gloss or matt

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Same for me.. a couple of coats of Matt, satin or gloss varnish