Which Acrylic Silver paint do you find best for brushing?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi , just thought I'd throw this one out there as I've been having a few issues lately with silver acrylic paints. I'm not talking about spraying silver , just brushing small bits ie. oleos , u/c legs , bits in the cockpit etc. I used to use Games Workshop Mithril silver , Chainmail and Boltgun metal and these were excellent , being easy to brush , covering well and hard wearing when dry. The problem is that Citadel (Games Workshop ) have recently changed all the names , packaging and, I think , the formulation of their paints . The new names and style of bottle are no problem but the paint doesnt seem to cover as well , being fairly translucent . Ive been trying all sorts of alternatives (Tamiya x11 , Revell Aquacolors , Vallejo, Humbrol acrylic ) and i think the Revell aquacolors seem to be the closest to the old GW style. I was wondering if anyone out there has any others that they find work for them or maybe I'm doing something wrong with the GW paints , any thoughts or experiences will be useful cheers tony :cool:

N

noble

I use the citadel paints and they are most excellent for brushing, however i also use revell aqua also i like these paints for brush painting.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I know you wrote acrylic but I will say that the best silver for painting is for me Humbrol enamels. Either the regular ones or the metalcate ones.

They just brush well and give a good finish.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've found all silver acrylic is pretty awful so I use either revell steel or aluminium , their only a shade off silver but cover better

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, I find the Citadel 'Mithril Silver' good for small parts. Cheers Derek