Which do you paint first?

First Name
Carl
I’m currently undertaking the RMS Queen Mary and its the first boat I’ve ever made.
mostly the boat is white painted with the wood coloured decking.
my question is which do you paint first and why, the decking or the white structures!
im just trying to decide which makes it easier as if I paint all the decking first then I have to mask it all to paint white or vice versus?
I imagine this scenario is typical for most boat builds.
Carl

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I’m currently undertaking the RMS Queen Mary and its the first boat I’ve ever made.
mostly the boat is white painted with the wood coloured decking.
my question is which do you paint first and why, the decking or the white structures!
im just trying to decide which makes it easier as if I paint all the decking first then I have to mask it all to paint white or vice versus?
I imagine this scenario is typical for most boat builds.
Carl
HI Carl well if you have more white then its better to paint the deck as you wont have so much of a tedeouis job of maskin all the white as it will be easyier to mask up the deck as not so much maskin how are you painting it hairy stick or A/B ?
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm at a juncture as well on which to paint first...always a big question. I always end up retouching over areas until they look right. A light wash helps with the demarcation between the two colors.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Carl well if you have more white then its better to paint the deck as you wont have so much of a tedeouis job of maskin all the white as it will be easyier to mask up the deck as not so much maskin how are you painting it hairy stick or A/B ?
chris

HI again Carl an i was just :thinking: with my ships models its easyier as in a bigger scale i just remove my S/S an then just use a hairy stick to paint the deck so no problem for me but on yours the S/S is sometime jioned to the deck so i think what ive said above is the best way from my veiw point
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'm at a juncture as well on which to paint first...always a big question. I always end up retouching over areas until they look right. A light wash helps with the demarcation between the two colors.

Cheers,
Richard
An what Richard has said is right as im like him i always end up having to touch up areas untill it all looks ok but i dont do a wash as i have no A/B but my ships get real life wheathering as when they are sailing on the pond out in the open air
Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I’m air brushing so sounds like doing decking first and masking Afterwards might be the way forward then.
HI Carl yes in my opinion but others may say different but to me what i said make sence but i must admit i hav'nt made a platic ship kit for yonks but whichever way you go remember it requires a good deal of patience an you will end up with a ship model to be proud of
chris

First Name
Carl
HI Carl yes in my opinion but others may say different but to me what i said make sence but i must admit i hav'nt made a platic ship kit for yonks but whichever way you go remember it requires a good deal of patience an you will end up with a ship model to be proud of
chris
Yes, I agree it’s going to take patience hence why Ive never attempted one before. As mentioned , someone asked me to build this for them otherwise I may not have attempted just yet. Let’s see how it goes

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Yes, I agree it’s going to take patience hence why Ive never attempted one before. As mentioned , someone asked me to build this for them otherwise I may not have attempted just yet. Let’s see how it goes
OK Carl an im sure you can pull it off
chris

D

Deleted member 4539

For me I would mask the decking first which I always do with wooden decks.

First Name
Carl
I’m still struggling a little with the idea of painting. Looking at this deck part alone you can see it is divided up into lots of small. Decking areas. I’m thinking almost to paint all white then brush in the decks after? I just can’t see how I’ll mask all the decks up to paint the white afterwards?image.jpg