Which one?

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I am looking to buy a 1/35 tank of some kind at or below the £20 mark so I can try to improve my mediocre painting skills, actually, mediocre is too strong a word for my painting. Looking at cheaper stuff so it does not matter if I make a hash of it. Any suitable kits come to mind from you military guys? your advice would be a great help.

Andy.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The 1/35 StuG IV i just built cost me £12. Great starter kit

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Let’s begin with what kind of tank or other vehicle strikes your fancy, and which scale you’re leaning towards. Kits of common vehicles are available in all kinds of price ranges, and in smaller scales you’ll generally get more quality for your money compared to the same vehicle in a larger scale.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
tamiya panther........its big enough to have plenty of surface to paint yet a doddle to put together and cheap as chips

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Jakko, I did mention in my post I was looking at 1/35 scale but thanks all for the advice, now going to look at the stuff you all mentioned.

Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Oh, yeah, sorry — I’m sure I read that but it must have slipped my mind as I wrote my reply :sad: Still, my main advice is to first think about what period/army/war/theatre of operations/etc. you’re interested in. Not as enjoyable building a Tiger when you like to watch Vietnam films more than Second World War films, for example :smiling3:

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy,
Thia is not an accurate representation but for the price in my opinion it will be great for painting practice,
regards Jim

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks guys, I have ordered the panther med tank but I should have read this message first as I got it from somewhere else mainly as click and collect suits me better as there is no one home most days.

Andy.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
After finishing the Scania and fighting what could well be a losing battle with paint on the Ford Ranger this arrived.
49539482022_d1bab1250e_b.jpg
Looks quite a simple kit, but again, the devil is in the detail. After watching hours of video I am hoping it will be a success and looking at other armour, it may lead to an addiction.

Andy.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks quite a simple kit, but again, the devil is in the detail.
I’ve never built one, but I feel confident in saying that that is a simple kit, and the devil in the detail is that it hasn’t got any ;) Well, not by current standards, anyway (I’ve got an article in an issue of FineScale Modeler magazine from about 30 years ago in which someone corrects it; this requires a second kit to provide sufficient wheels :smiling3:). Still, it should build up easily enough, though.

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What I meant by saying the devil is in the detail was that it might help me with painting detail like camo,weathering etc instead of covering large flat areas in one colour like the Scania. I know it is not a highly detailed model like the more expensive stuff on the market, but I figure that it is better to practise on a cheapo that may well end up in the bin. :disappointed:

Andy.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy,
As long as you make a solid build you can use it for practicing on, strip the paint off and go again for as long as you want to.
regards Jim

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Good luck with Panther Andy. I can only reiterate what’s already been said. Have fun with the build (learning new techniques and skills is always fun) and if you do need any help you need only ask.
Cheers
paul

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy,
As long as you make a solid build you can use it for practicing on, strip the paint off and go again for as long as you want to.
regards Jim

Exactly......ive got a Pzr 38T that went wrong so i decided to use it as a paint subject to practice on......bet its been a dozen colours or schemes in the last couple of years

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just have fun Andy and don't worry about tracks ! Hopefully they will be straight runs .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy,
Get on and have some fun with it, remember the gloss finish does not come into it or the chrome - just mud and metal. And soon we will introduce you to the even darker side of etch brass and resin and once we have you in that cult then drag you even further into the depths of depravity and bring you into the inner circle of casting and soldering and even scratch building....
Mike.