Which Paint?

K

katana6434

Hi

I am looking to build a paint collection again after many years away from modelling, and I would like to stay with one brand of paint, unless there is a reason not to.

My first model that I will be doing is a Tamiya Yamaha 2009 M1 Bike. Now, I could just go and get the correct Tamiya paints for this, and if people believe this is the best course of action I will, but I have also heard good things about Valkejo paints.

What do people recommend? Is it best to stay with one brand of paints, and if so which brand do you recommend? I will be be using an airbrush.

If I go down the route of using Vallejo paints, is it easy to cross reference paints between the brands, especially if the model recommends a Tamiya spray can and i would like to use an airbrush instead. i noticed that some of the paints (Tamiya) are only available in the spray cans and not in the pots. In this case is it easy to mix paints to get the desired colour.

I know there are quite a few questions in this post, but it would be really usefull if anybody could provide a few answers for me.

Thanks

Richard

S

Sky Raider

Hi Richard,

Im just starting to get into building at a smaller scale and have invested in paints. I have Tamiya and Valejo to, around 100 of each. I think that most people like Acrylics over Enamels though it is each to his own. I dont think its too bad to have as many as you can afford just like models lol.

Good luck with your new hobby.

Andy

R

Richy C

Welcome to the forum Richard , it takes years to build up a paint collection an if you sick at the hobby you will find your faveroutes and build up that way , anyway for your yamaha I would get a halfords or tamiya primer then go with the tamiya paints as told on the instructions to start with then for the bodywork use the tamiya TS spraycan range (not the tamiya PS spray range) , although tamiya paints are not great to brush they do the job if your re-learning again , if your not worried about colours being spot on then vallejo are perfect for brushing ie- for engine colours your blacks - silvers - golds- gun metal - ali etc etc are all the same once weathered but for the main bodywork colours stick with tamiya,

I love motorsport and military stuff and for my sins have had to build up a paint range consisting of - Tamiya -Vallejo - Alclad - Zero- a few humbrol , if your into bikes cars and plan to get an airbrush at some stage have a look on the Hiroboy website their Zero paints are spot on for motorsport modellers

Hope this has been of some help

Richy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think Richard has summed that up rather well! You will probably find that you end up with paints and varnishes from various manufacturers but their acquisition should be a natural process. In my case it was a bit like coral growing on an old wreck!

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I would certainly not restrict myself to one type or brand of paint. You will eventually realise that different paints are better for different uses and even one manufacturers specific colour may just be perfect for a particular use. Most of us use a combination of many different manufacturers and paint types in the one model which may even be further complicated by the decision to either brush paint, airbrush or even spray tins.

There is also the consideration of what type of paint can be used on top of what so compatibility can also be a concern.

K

katana6434

Thanks for all of your replies. I think I'll stick with your views on this then. I think i will stick with the Tamiya paints that I need and build it up from there.

Thanks for the link Richy. Thats a great site. That paint looks great and the detail kits.

Thanks a lot.

Richard

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I used Tamiya for ages until I tried Model Color and thought they was so much better, then I started stocking Model Air and for airbrushing they are brilliant, some will say that Model Color and lots of other paints are better for airbrushing because you have to thin them and they last longer, but I've found with Model Air I use a lot less because I'm not wasting loads spraying to see if it's the right viscosity and if I'm running short near the end of a spray I just use a few drops, everyone is different and have their favourites, but I think if your happy with what you are using and get the results you want the stick with that.