Which scale model...?

G

Graham COULSON

Hello everyone,

As I'm new to the forum, let me quickly introduce myself: my name's Graham, of English origins but living retired now in France (Burgundy, where all that lovely wine comes from!).

I'm keen to return to kit modelling and would prefer to try something on a reasonably large scale (to counteract the shakes, don't you know, brought on by aging and probably by too much Burgundy!)

I'd LOVE to get my hands on a 1954 Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing in racing white, but the biggest I can find is a pissy little 5 inches long!

Another thought I have is that, as my Dad flew Lancasters during the war, maybe I should go for the Tamiya 1/48 scale model bomber, but I have read that there are some issues on assembly fit, especially with the cockpit interior.

Has anyone any suggestions, please, as to a good sized model that I should build?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Graham.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Well...good sized.....let's see....

The 1/24 Airfix Typhoon :smiling3:

OR

The Dragon Apollo 11

As for Lancasters, I recommend the 1/72 Revell lancaster. That has really great fit, great for a beginner

John

Last edited:
D

dougie

Get some of the Tamiya or similar 1/12? There are the odd 1/16 about as well. The 1/12 Porsches are stunners and are usually available on eBay every now and then as they are discontinued atm. Also bestbalsakits has lots of specialized items that he buys and sells on including hop ups etc...

N

noble

Would you consider armour? Tamiya do 1/35 scale which is a nice size with some nice detail, the kits go together well, even the older Tamiya kits. I also have shaky hands and find that this scale is ideal.

scott

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Would you consider armour? Tamiya do 1/35 scale which is a nice size with some nice detail, the kits go together well, even the older Tamiya kits. I also have shaky hands and find that this scale is ideal.
scott
The newer ones are excellent, however, Dragon would be the one I would go for if I was doing armour in 1/35

John

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Dragon would be the one I would go for if I was doing armour in 1/35
Disagree John, the instructions on Dragon kits can be a nightmare for beginners. Tamiya or even an Academy 1/35 kit would be better to get back into it.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
As for Lancasters, I recommend the 1/72 Revell lancaster. That has really great fit, great for a beginner
John
Do agree with this though, nice kit to start with.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Aircraft kits are pretty difficult for the beginner as a lot of them are old kits and the good ones cost a bit , airfix do have quite a few new tool 1/72 and 1/48 scale kits that don't have too many parts but do build into nice looking models the airfix site will tell you which kits are new tool :smiling3:

If you go for armour then tamiya and academy are good kits with clear instructions and look great when built , I would personally stay away from dragon kits because their instructions are very poor so not a good idea for the beginner IMO

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
Disagree John, the instructions on Dragon kits can be a nightmare for beginners. Tamiya or even an Academy 1/35 kit would be better to get back into it.
Si:smiling3:
Fully agree. Fully forgot :smiling3:

For instance... THe 1/32 Dragon Bf 110 is a true nightmare in terms of instructions

John

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well if you want larger models and a bomber is what you want then how about the HK Models B17 in 1/32 scale with a wingspan of around 39 inches? Or you could wait a bit and get their 1/32 Lancaster that they are due to release.

Other larger scale planes include the 1/24 Airfix Typhoon mentioned already. Or there are the other big HK models 1/32 scale aircraft, the B25 or their new Mosquito BIV

The Tamiya WW2 1/32 scale aircraft are superb and they also have a Mosquito being released very soon. Their other1/32s include 2 versions of the Zero, 3 of Spitfires, 2 of Mustangs and 2 of Corsairs. All of these are among the best kits you can buy.

G

Graham COULSON

Dear all,

Very many thanks John, Scott, Dougie, Alan and Eddie for all your most helpful replies.

No, Scott, I don't think I really find armour that appealing, but thanks for the idea...

Special thanks to you, Dougie, 'cos I think you've cracked it for me! I took a look at a retailer of Tamiya's stuff here in France and it looks as though I may be able to order their 1/12 Enzo Ferrari, which is a gorgeous looking piece of kit on a decent scale... I shall polish up my French, make enquiries and report back as to how I get on !

Thanks all again.

Regards,

Graham.

G

Graham COULSON

Hi Barry,

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. Yes, I spotted that Hong Kong Models have been due to bring out a 1/32 scale Lancaster, but that's been going on I believe since announced in 2013! I guess I'll just have to be extra patient... And of course after that, there's nothing to say that theirs will be any better than Tamiya's existing 1/32 one...

So many models and so little time !

Regards,

graham

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum Graham some sound advice and choices there from the others. Looking forward to seeing what you build first

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
Welcome to the forum Graham some sound advice and choices there from the others. Looking forward to seeing what you build first
Thanks papa 695 -- it may take a while 'cos I don't suppose I'm likely to be among the world's most deft at this sort of thing (shakey-shake !)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thanks papa 695 -- it may take a while 'cos I don't suppose I'm likely to be among the world's most deft at this sort of thing (shakey-shake !)
No problems Graham just nice and steady away, there's a few on here with some disability that just plod on and produce some stunning work.

P

Polux

Well...seems you have some great advices from the other members!

So, only rest to say: Welcome to the forum Graham!!!

As you can see, is a very friendly forum!

Maybe you can lose some time, looking different builds around the forum. There are many interesting models on all the sections, that can help you to choice one future option ;)

Regards

Polux

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I spotted that Hong Kong Models have been due to bring out a 1/32 scale Lancaster, but that's been going on I believe since announced in 2013! I guess I'll just have to be extra patient...
graham
I wouldn't hold your breath :smiling3:

HK did release the 1/32 scale B-17 and it looked pretty impressive. Some rich souls have built it already. Tamiya's Lancaster is 1/48 and is essentially a kit dating from the 1970s. It builds like one too. I wouldn't recommend it as a first aircraft when making a comeback, better to hone those rusty skills on something a bit more sympathetic!

There are plenty of larger scale options in aircraft, both 1/24 and 1/32, the latter is becoming ever more popular. Tamiya's 'uber kits', already mentioned by Barry W above are superb, but there are other, cheaper, options.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers

Steve

Bigfoot57

SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great choice the Enzo is a great looking car I have the dragon 1/72 Apollo 11 / Skylab to build and can confirm that the instructions leave a lot to be desired but impression wise the finished rocket is over 5ft tall once again welcome to the forum look forward to seeing your builds

Regards

Colin

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
Well...seems you have some great advices from the other members!
So, only rest to say: Welcome to the forum Graham!!!

As you can see, is a very friendly forum!

Maybe you can lose some time, looking different builds around the forum. There are many interesting models on all the sections, that can help you to choice one future option ;)

Regards

Polux
Hello Polux,

Thanks so much to you and to all your fellow members for such a wonderfully warm welcome...

Yes, good idea to look around, which I'll be doing lots of once I get the hang of how this place works and where everything is (like locating the loo !). No, only joking...

Talk again soon. Meanwhile, all the best for now.

Regards,

Graham.

G

Graham COULSON

\ said:
Great choice the Enzo is a great looking car I have the dragon 1/72 Apollo 11 / Skylab to build and can confirm that the instructions leave a lot to be desired but impression wise the finished rocket is over 5ft tall once again welcome to the forum look forward to seeing your builds
Regards

Colin
Wow, a five foot rocket ! Sounds magnificent -- as it so happens, I think NASA could do with a replacement at Cape Canaveral !

Thanks so much for your kind welcome and I hope to be getting something to work on very soon...

All the best for now.

Regards,

Graham.