Which was really better, The Mosquito or the Me 410?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
cheers for postin that pic as ive never heard of this plane or come to that the ME 210 a pic of that please
The two are very hard to tell apart, as you can see from the drawing I also posted above. It’s mainly in the angles in the wings, and also different engines, a greater wingspan and longer fuselage in the 410, but none of these are obvious in many photos as far as I know (though I’m far from an expert). There’s good reading about these kinds of planes on Wikipedia, though. Start here:

and you can click on links to other pages that might interest you. Chances are you’ll be reading for quite a while :smiling3:

was it winkle brown who landed a corsair on a carrier for the first time ?
No idea :smiling3: All I know is that the Americans felt it was unsafe to land a Corsair on a carrier and so let the USMC only operate them from land bases, but different practices in the FAA meant they could land them with little more risk than other planes. When this trickled back to the USA, they changed their procedures and also began flying them off carriers once more.

the usual German infighting over designs.....
Normal state of affairs in Nazi Germany, at all levels and quietly encouraged, usually, by the people immediately above the different sides.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The two are very hard to tell apart, as you can see from the drawing I also posted above. It’s mainly in the angles in the wings, and also different engines, a greater wingspan and longer fuselage in the 410, but none of these are obvious in many photos as far as I know (though I’m far from an expert). There’s good reading about these kinds of planes on Wikipedia, though. Start here:

and you can click on links to other pages that might interest you. Chances are you’ll be reading for quite a while :smiling3:

No idea :smiling3: All I know is that the Americans felt it was unsafe to land a Corsair on a carrier and so let the USMC only operate them from land bases, but different practices in the FAA meant they could land them with little more risk than other planes. When this trickled back to the USA, they changed their procedures and also began flying them off carriers once more.

Normal state of affairs in Nazi Germany, at all levels and quietly encouraged, usually, by the people immediately above the different sides.
Cheers Jakko ive learnt something today
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
One thing not mentioned in this thread is that the skilled workforce required to build such aircraft was decimated in Germany in the latter stages of the war. De Havilland had been making wooden-framed aircraft such as the Mossie for decades and already had the expertise and production methods ready.
But lets face it, the Germans had other groundbreaking aircraft in production too. So... do you go with the copy of an Allied wooden design or jet-powered wonder weapon? Either way Germany’s infrastructure had been so badly damaged at this point that neither would effect the outcome of the war.
As to which is better, Mosquito or Me 410? I’d say the performance of both aircraft is comparable. The real difference (I think) is that the Allies were able to both build and fuel the Mosquito whilst, in the latter stages of the war, the Germans couldn’t do the same with the Me 410
Cheers
Paul