White metal glueing

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Hey Guys,

Perhaps this is the wrong place place, but here goes.

I've just bought some citadel figures from a friend, some of them white metal, a few are broken and need repair.

The question I have is how do you glue white metal together. I've tried CA and bostick impact adhesive, but with little success.

Any advice would be most helpful.

Tony.

S

Sky Raider

I find that thick ZAP is good and I don't have any problems.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
CA based glue can have an undesired effect on white metal in the long term. Something about crystallising and expansion......(Think about that the nest time you fill the nose of an aircraft kit with lead and CA) "White metal" can contain lead.

Epoxy should do it, Low melt solder will do it. You just have to be sure that the melting point of the solder is well below that of the white metal.

Milliput can also be used.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks Andy, the CA I'm using is the thin stuff. I'll get some thick stuff tomorrow.

Cheers,

Tony.

C

CDW

The cheapo gel type superglue is all ive used for my figures, never had any problems.

T

The Dweller

As a Warhammer modeller, the metal figures are usually put together with superglue, i use loctite superglue, cheap and cheerfull and better than games workshops own superglue

A

andygh

I've been using superglue for years, never had a problem with it, some of my figures are more than 30 years old and show no sign of any problems

Pegging is always useful for broken figures, drill a 0.8mm hole in each part and use a bit of a paperclip in to reinforce the joint

R

Roobarb

I have to agree with Ian use epoxy or better still low melt solder. I've seen white metal rolling stock fall apart due to modellers having assembled them with superglue.

Malcolm

T

The Dweller

i think you'll find that a lot of the advice is anecdotal, find what works for you, start with superglue and work upwards, superglue will be the cheapest option, if that doesnt work you can try everything else others have said which ever way you go - good luck fella :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks for the replies guys. I eventually used thick super glue and after painting I ended up with this -

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed-figures/18518-blood-thirster-apparently.html

Cheers.

Tony.