White spirits

First Name
Derek
Can I use white spirits to thin Humbrol enamel paint for airbrushing? I have never used an airbrush before so this is a new experience. Sorry if this question has been previously asked.

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A far better idea as A) its a lot cheaper and B) it does not smell as bad as the Humbrol thinners.
Remember to wear a mask and ventilate well.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Derek. This can vary with the colour of the paint. I would thin to about fifty/fifty to start with. You can always add more paint if it seems too thin, and obviously add thinners if it seems too thick….you will need to experiment a little to get a mix that works for you…..
Also, just to reiterate, white spirit is quite nasty, so as Ian says, wear a mask and ventilate the room.
To make the paint ready for the airbrush do something like this…..
Mix the humbrol very well. Take some paint out of the tin and put it into to a separate container. Then mix with thinner/white spirit and add this mix to the airbrush. Humbrol paint can be quite lumpy so don’t make your mix in the airbrush cup. You could easily get lumps that block the nozzle. This isn’t terminal for the airbrush but it can be very frustrating when you have to strip and clean it all out ;)

First Name
Derek
Hi Derek. This can vary with the colour of the paint. I would thin to about fifty/fifty to start with. You can always add more paint if it seems too thin, and obviously add thinners if it seems too thick….you will need to experiment a little to get a mix that works for you…..
Also, just to reiterate, white spirit is quite nasty, so as Ian says, wear a mask and ventilate the room.
To make the paint ready for the airbrush do something like this…..
Mix the humbrol very well. Take some paint out of the tin and put it into to a separate container. Then mix with thinner/white spirit and add this mix to the airbrush. Humbrol paint can be quite lumpy so don’t make your mix in the airbrush cup. You could easily get lumps that block the nozzle. This isn’t terminal for the airbrush but it can be very frustrating when you have to strip and clean it all out ;)
Thank you very much Tim

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
As mentioned, yes you can use it for thinning and as Tim has pointed out, it also depends on the make of enamel paint and the colour-the pigments used can change the density. As stated a 50/50 is a good starting point and just go from there.

First Name
Derek
If I make a mess of things what’s the best way to remove the paint? I’ve never airbrushed before and I have a rather large hull to spray, the USS Arizona 1/200, I’m a bit nervous about this to be honest.
Is there such thing as airbrush ready paint?

Reactions: JR

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
If I make a mess of things what’s the best way to remove the paint? I’ve never airbrushed before and I have a rather large hull to spray, the USS Arizona 1/200, I’m a bit nervous about this to be honest.

Derek, do some practise first, get a plastic pop bottle, prime by using a rattle can of grey or white plastic primer, do two coats, 15 mins between coats leave to dry for 24 hrs and then use it as a practice subject. This why you can get the mixture right, airbrush pressure and technique prior to doing it for real.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
There's ModelAir but that is another can of worms to get adjusted to being acrylic and waterbased so stick with the present paint you have now until you're ready to experiment with other types of paint and their formulas. There's no way to mess up if you test on a piece of scrap before applying to the model. Practice a few runs first.
On a lighter side anything that's in a bottle that says 12 Years and above, save it for drinking. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
There is a rule I always follow and that is to give the airbrush a little squirt of air just before pointing at the actual area you want to paint then gradually pull the lever to release the paint. Sometimes I hold an index card next to where I want to spray and do the squirt on it or my thumb to clear any paint that may have built up at the needle tip to avoid splatter.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Your kit is huge so by the time you finish with the hull it'll be like riding a bicycle and you'll be airbrushing anything you can get your hands on. Have fun.

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
hi

here is a link to an article I wrote about airbrushing which may be of help. https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/airbrush-practice.32531/

it is important to keep the airbrush moving to avoid getting a build up of paint in one place. Assuming you have a twin action airbrush the order is to: start the airbrush moving, start the airflow, start the paint. All of these before getting to the model. At the end of the run, and after comig off the end of the hull, stop the paint, stop the air and then stop moving the airbrush. It is easier than is reads.

it is a long time since I painted with Humbrol, and I think they may have changed their formula, but \i used to thin the paint then pour it through a bit of my wife's old tights to filter out any lumps.

finally - clean the airbruSh very well, and when you think you have cleaned it - clean it again!

Peter