Who? Who? Ron's 251/20 UHU , that's who !

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Coming on very nicely indeed Ron. Missed the start of this last year.

ATB.

Andrew
Thanks Amdrew, yep this one quite nearly became a 'not-to- be'. I'm glad I resurrected it with the help of Blast Models. Been wanting to do this nearly 15-20 years I'd say ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That is very respectable. The damaged mudguards look good, did you thin the plastic so you could bend them and make the holes?

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Jakko, yes I used the moto-tool with round burrs to thin them. I wanted bent-and-twisted sheet metal , but instead produced shredded-from-shrapnel effect. That's why I'll probably try another set of fenders. Using the mini-torch to warp the plastic is tricky though (for me anyway).

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
VERY impressive stuff Ron!!
Loving the detail on the externals,but especially the look of the interior,top modelling that is mate :smiling3:
Andy

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron, I built this a few years ago but didn't go for the blast additions wish I had now looking at yours.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron, I built this a few years ago but didn't go for the blast additions wish I had now looking at yours.
The great thing about them Paul, is they fill up so much space that it seems to do most of the build for you ! Of course, I say that before commencing on the searchlight assembly ! That looks a bit daunting....

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one so far Ron - I'm currently making a 251/17 but always fancied the big searchlight - so watching with interest!
Steve
Thank You Steve ! Is that the variant with the big anti-aircraft gun with shield ? Would love to see it !

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
There were two production versions & a couple expedient versions. One of limited numbers w/foldown sides & one w/small open turret used as platoon leader vehicle in later kstns. One of my faves, but prefer 251/21 version w/Drilling for the extra punch.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Using the mini-torch to warp the plastic is tricky though (for me anyway).
A soldering iron is a better choice if you want to apply heat carefully, but I wouldn’t recommend heating plastic parts at all if you want them dented. Most of the time they melt, warp and otherwise deform in ways you didn’t have in mind. An Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. D front mudguard is a relatively simple shape, you can cut the top part off and rebuild it from thin metal sheet (pewter would probably be ideal, though I‘ve never tried it, but aluminium and annealed brass will work too). This is more work, but will allow you to deform the piece realistically and without fear of anything melting and/or ending up irreplaceably damaged :smiling3:

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A soldering iron is a better choice if you want to apply heat carefully, but I wouldn’t recommend heating plastic parts at all if you want them dented. Most of the time they melt, warp and otherwise deform in ways you didn’t have in mind. An Sd.Kfz. 251 Ausf. D front mudguard is a relatively simple shape, you can cut the top part off and rebuild it from thin metal sheet (pewter would probably be ideal, though I‘ve never tried it, but aluminium and annealed brass will work too). This is more work, but will allow you to deform the piece realistically and without fear of anything melting and/or ending up irreplaceably damaged :smiling3:
Thank you for your insight Jakko, it will certainly be worth a try, will do !

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Ron,
This is the variant with hexagonal drop sides, and the 20mm Flak 38. Will be putting it in a simple diorama; incidentally the very small, three piece, tracks are 'interesting'! Will post a couple of 'in progress' photos if you wish.
Steve

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice interior as Rob has said .Keep it going Ron .