Why on Earth would you scratchbuild an M113 in 1:35 scale?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thank you, though I don’t think it reaches the level of others I see around here :smiling3:

But I’m glad I’m nearing the end. All it needs is the finishing touches and I can finally call this done. With, hopefully, one or two days to spare for the deadline of this Saturday …

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jakko, scratchery looks good. It's even harder to do scratchwork on destroyed parts as the different materials behave differently to the destruction.
Looking forward to more.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks guys :smiling3: Funny thing is, part of the reason I decided to model this was because I figured an M113 would be fairly easy …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In reponse to tips I added more debris, random burned stuff made from sawdust that I mixed with Tamiya flat black paint, which also glued it into place. I then drybrushed it with grey again, and I also added rust to the torsion bar and ammunition boxes in the burned areas, by painting small, random spots of orange and red-brown:

F8CE1103-D9D0-47CB-8EE5-3C2816F075E7.jpeg290E28C0-B1C1-4157-8DAB-FE0D6D105BF1.jpeg

I also added the radiator and its duct, with a painted muddy patch where water would have leaked (just brown paint) and some streaks down the duct below the holes the water drained from (Tamiya Smoke).

You can just see I also put the trim vane on, as if it’s come off its right hinge but the left one and actuating arm are still attached. The text on the inside is a decal from an old Tamiya M113 kit.