Windsor & Newton

N

Neill

Can someone advise me about which would be the main and most useful colours of Windsor & Newton series 1 oil paint that scale modllers would use for general weathering and shading etc. I am already thinking about buying raw umber, burnt sienna and lamp black as these tend to be the colours most talked about in model magazines. If anyone knows of alternative brands please fell free to name them.:xyxthumbs:

F

Fenlander

Add a white, yellow, blue and green to that and you are good to go. White and yellow can help lighten areas when used as filters and blue can enhance the shadow areas. A light green I find useful for fading, with white and yellow, green tanks.

Nothing wrong with the brand but they are quite expensive. Small tubes are enough as you only use small amounts. I bought a box set of about 8 colours from Hobbycraft, cannot remember the name and it was £6.99 for the set. If you have a 'Works' or Art shop where you live, check them out to, maybe even the Pound Shop.... For filters and washes, I don't think the highest quality paint is needed, no doubt others will disagree. What is worth getting is a Low Odour thinners as it is a lot more pleasant to use.

S

Spyderman_uk

I would add a yellow ochre to the above list as well, although I don't use standard yellow.

I buy the cheapest I can find. You are not going to see the quality of the product when it is as thin as you will be using. Most is wiped off anyway.:smiling5:

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

I actually invested in a boxed set of Windor and Newton oil paints, which worked out a lot cheaper than buying individually, included a bottle of thinners, a pallete and a couple of brushes all in a nice wooden box. I have added a couple of other tubes since but a boxed set is a good way of starting. I agree that Windsor and Newton are possibly a bit expensive for weathering purposes, although many in the art world do not consider them the best, but at least once you have them you are not limited to just weathering as you can use them in all sorts of other artistic ways.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I agree with Richard, Windsor & Newton are not the most expensive but are very good. One thing to consider with the super cheap oil paints is the size of the particulates in the paint. W&N are very finely ground pigments and the particulates are thus ultra fine. Some of the cheap paints might be a bit grainy and this will have a very bad effect on really washed out paints. As for thinners, buy it in an artists shop and ask for citrus thinner. I cant recall the name of it but its made from a distillation for citrus fruit, Grapefruit I think. Smells wonderful and is very effective after all I have read on them.

Ian M

N

Neill

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am away into town today to try and pick up a few bits and pieces. Have to watch the old money though as me car is up for the MOT in a week.

S

sprayman

If you can get a tube of Paynes Grey, this is a great mixer to adjust tones, and great for a bleaching or fade effect.

B

Bill's Bunker

Hi,

I find Naples Yellow good for dry brushing Germans tanks, even the one's with Red/Brown & Green Camo! straight from the tube. The colours you mention are good for dirty washes. I know it stinks but white spirit if fine, when it needs replacing I'll get something with a nicer niff, especially as I work in the house...

Regards

Mel.

AFC

First Name
Andre
The other day I went to buy one tube of Burnt umber oil to this store Cass Art

In every artist shop I visited, a small tube of W&N (27ml) costs around £3.50. In this shop I found Georgian oil paint for artists 75ml for the price of £2.95/tube. A great deal I believe as I think such a tube will last years and years :smiling3:

I also got a bottle of the odourless thinner of W&N (Sansodor) which costed me £2.95/bottle.

Cheers

Andre

P

PubZombie

Hi,

Popped into WH $miths yesterday. They have a sale on in the arts an hobbies section an oils are 3 for 2 on N&W small tubes.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
If you can get a tube of Paynes Grey, this is a great mixer to adjust tones, and great for a bleaching or fade effect.
I was going to say that! Nice to see you again Ray.

Cheers

Steve