Winter Camo help...

X

Xarathustra

I've not done this before, but am going to try some winter camo on my Tamiya sdkfz 251/1.
I'm planning on brushing on the whitewash as I imagine this is how it'd have been applied in the field...downward strokes I assume using a mop or something equally 'rough'?
I've found a guide to how to weather the whitewash, so hope that'll be do-able....I'm going for a washed away effect rather than chipping which I don't feel able to do at this point!
Would you apply decals before or after whitewashing? I've seen several photos of models where an area has been rubbed clear of whitewash before (or after) decal application.
I'd assume that the wash would've been originally applied around the vehicles markings in the field albeit pretty roughly, and I can't really find any WW2 photos of vehicle markings that have any clear areas around them...it seems to be only modellers that've done this...?

TIA :smiling:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
George.
Hi , I would attach the decals then given that the are dry and fixed, apply the wash.
Your assumption of a mop being used is quite correct. Any thing that came to hand. you can remove as much as you want from markings.
The wash would have soon faded with the weather conditions, so no need to worry about a fantastic finish.
John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi George. Your observations in my view are correct.
It was applied with both brush and spray.
I would suggest a large paint brush would have been handier in the field - and when in a rush!
The stuff was water based, so in my view a far more realistic finish on your model would be achieved using a flat headed brush and apply the paint in downward strokes.
Don't mess about just throw it on. When I did my Tiger 1 I applied the decals first then the whitewash, working around the decals. Don't be worried if some white strays onto the decals.
Rough is good. So often I see white washed modes too neat. They don't look right somehow. This is just my take on applying the paint. I have no doubt others will have a different view on whitewashing models. So be prepared for different approaches to the subject.

I hope you don't mind me doing so, but here's my Tiger. It will show far better than I can type my own method of applying whitewash.
Bavaria dreaming 016.jpg

If you use a brush, use a flat headed one. The main thing to remember is don't fiddle about when applying the paint. Keep it thin and sling it on. Then quickly lay it off vertically and let it run where it wants...Don't go over it again. Leave it alone! This way you will end up with nice shade/tone/streaky variations.

Here endeth the lesson.
Please leave your money in the tray at the back of the church - No foreign coins, thank you.

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
OOPS!
Sorry John, we must have pressed our respective buttons at the same time - and wadd'a yer know, virtually same advice. Nice one Bro....... :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi George
Interesting thoughts. I would imagine that the when the whitewash was applied in the field they would have tried to avoid the markings but as Ron says it would be rough and dribbled down over the markings. Certainly decals before whitewash.
Jim

X

Xarathustra

...so no need to worry about a fantastic finish.
John.

That's what I'm hoping John! This thing has been (at times) a hateful thing to build, so any covering up is most welcome...that's part of the reason I'd thought about the winter camo option :smiling:

Thanks everyone for the replies too.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excuse us George.

OOPS!
Sorry John, we must have pressed our respective buttons at the same time - and wadd'a yer know, virtually same advice. Nice one Bro....... :thumb2:
Thank you us old joiners have to stick together . :smiling3:
John.