WIP Tamiya 1/16 AK tank crew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The eyes are a bit manic, but otherwise it look good.

Ian M

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
I've not tried figure painting yet but his skin tone looks good to me. But I want to know what he's looking at, he looks a bit shocked at something. :shocking:Nice work nontheless.

Tony.

C

CDW

Apart from the intense looking eyes its a good job David,

If this might help ........There's normally some detailing in the plastic for where the eyes should position (normally a recess) so what i do is thin down some cream (or any off-white) a little and use a thin brush to apply it in a few coats. the paint should find it's way into the corners of the eyes due to being thinner.

When this is dry use dark brown or mid-dark grey for the iris, try and make it a little oval (as eyelids normally cover the top and bottom) on a larger figure like this you can, if you've a steady hand, add a minute pupil.

i was told never to try and get them to look straight ahead as they'll always seem slightly bozz eyed, from what i've done in the past this certainly is true :smiling3: so it seems best to get them looking to the left or right.

Hope you dont mind the input.

P

Plastickitbasher

I've finished this one I've done a rework on the "phsyco eyes" mmmm still need a bit more practice they now frrl in keeping with the figure rather than starring out at you.

Here are some more pics

View attachment 47886View attachment 47887View attachment 47888View attachment 47889View attachment 47890View attachment 47891

enjoy

all comments are most welcome

Regards

David

View attachment 50767

View attachment 50768

View attachment 50769

View attachment 50770

View attachment 50771

View attachment 50772

fig_008.jpg

fig_003.jpg

fig_004.jpg

fig_005.jpg

fig_006.jpg

fig_007.jpg

D

Dour

Nice work David. Actually, the shading on the skin that you have there looks perfect at the front under the brim - it captures the shadowing nicely. I might be tempted to lighten up the side of the head more to emphasize this. As to the eyes, to follow on from what Colin has says, I'd go a lot darker on the white, and make the irises a lot larger. In the desert sun with all the reflections off the sand and rock, most people are going to be squinting and you'd see almost no whites to their eyes. You could narrow down the eyes a little with lashes - a fine line maybe coloured close to the brown of the boots or drop in a careful wash. But it's still a fine piece as it is.

G

Graham D

When I did figures, I found that artist oils gave good skin tone and where particulary good for clothing. The only drawback is that the paint took about a week to dry.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice Dave, I think you have done a fabulous paint job.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks a lot better. In fact really good.

I agree though that the eyes are to white. It could just be the photo but they seem very bright.

if you look at people from a distance or in a photo, you will be some times surprised at how little of the white of the eye you can see.

Ian M

P

Paul P

Hi Dave the figure looks very nice. can i ask what medium you paint in ?

Paul

P

Plastickitbasher

Paul

Firstly thank you for your kind words

Secondly, mainly I use Vallejo model and Panzer aces acrylics for the painting and MIG products for weathering.