Women's Battalion of Death Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_7860.JPG

Another Altores Studio bust and an unusual subject. The Women's Battalion of Death was formed in Russia in 1917 and was loyal to the Provisional Government. It's founder was Maria Botchkareva:

59721884dda4c8cc4c8b4567.jpg

You certainly wouldn't want to mess with her! The battalion was seen as a useful propaganda tool and a means of shaming men into joining up, though it's doubtful that it ever saw any actual fighting:

download (59).jpgCX-ZiYOWcAAlk0U.jpg

The short hair was pretty radical for the time and they certainly look as though they mean business.

I've painted the head:

100_7856.JPG100_7857.JPG

I always find painting female faces difficult, as they're obviously smoother and require a of of tonal blending. This one was nice to paint however, and the large eyes meant that I could go against my usual practice and have her looking straight ahead.

The rest of the figure includes the torso, cap and a blanket roll, which is optional:

100_7859.JPG

And a big hooray for Altores for sculpting a believable and ordinary female figure - there are plenty of manufacturers out there who would have had the blouse open and plenty of cleavage showing.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well this is different Peter. Looking forward to seeing how she turns out. Good luck

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can I have a seat please Peter.
Just been watching another film in the same style as the one you recommended. Based on the Battle of Kursk, brilliant extras from the Russian army.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

What a lovely head, good to see you still have a gentler side after all the "rough" men you paint LOL

The blanket might just be too much and cover up the body?

It does look a little cumbersome?

Looks like a good day with the drapery ahead, have fun

It seems to be clearing again but is still cool for July

Another day in the home office, its taking some getting used to though

Lunch in the garden with the cats, is a new thing, better than walking through Leeds shopping precincts for sure.

Enjoy the day

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

John - Take a seat and glad you're finding stuff to watch on YouTube. There's a movie about the Death Battalion around that looks good, though it has them fighting, which didn't happen.

Steve - Just a tweak to the left iris, then on to the cap. I agree that the bundle may be too much, so perhaps I'll have it detachable (Blu-Tack). My granddaughter has gone now, so at least I won't have the distraction of her painting at the table with me (mainly herself) - ''Ah Gwandad, bluepleaseyourewelcome.'' Brighter here, but weirdly chilly for July.

Hope the adjustment to home working doesn't take to long. Some people miss the office camaraderie and I can understand that.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks John. They're were certainly a 'robust' looking lot in reality.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
A great result of a very unusual subject. Until your first post I had not heard of The Women's Battalion of Death.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jim. There aren't enough decent (both meanings of the word) female kits out there. I enjoyed this one.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A lovely finish and much better without the blanket too.

It will make a nice pair with your female Russian pilot.

What ever next?

Home working will settle and I certainly don't miss the commute at all!

The extra time is still a novelty too, though the work is just the same with slow systems and customer enquiries.

The buzz of the office is missing, but someone did suggest ""microwave some smoked fish, and it will smell just like work!"" LOL

I should consider myself very lucky still to have a job and be able to work from home too.

Have good day with the next victim

The sun is making its first appearance after a long wet night

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Many thanks.

Steve - Glad you like her. I love these Altores Studio busts, but they are too expensive to consider doing more at the moment. I don't have a female Russian pilot, but I do have a tanker that made it to the cover of a certain defunct magazine.

Glad you are finding more positives than otherwise in home working. The fact is that you're probably more efficient without the office distractions, so get through the work quicker. I know I sometimes felt like the museum's switchboard operator, the receptionists putting every call through to me as I was the only one that would take them - the 'historians' were way above talking to the public..