Wooden decks for plastic kits

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks.

I've just bought the Trumpeter 1/200 Arizona and I'm thinking of buying one of those pre-cut wooden decks for it. I've seen several manufacturers mentioned in reviews of the kit and was wondering if anyone has used them. If so, how easy are they and can anyone recommend a UK supplier?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
There hard to come by now white ensign popped it's clogs I usually get mine a shows or ebay

There easy peal and stick affairs but can be fiddley if you go off by a fraction

IMO they are worth the extra price and are one of the things you need to improve a warship :smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Be very careful with your choice Dave.....Putting my joiner's hat on, as you will know, these wooden decks are a single very thin piece of 'wood' veneer/plastic with the planking scribed on them. Some are on wonky grain and look awful, nothing like 'proper' planking. Some clearly show the grain running all over the place, even at an angle across the deck!

The only ones worth a carrot are those with a good tight grain running dead straight with the run of the planking. Getting them by post would mean you have no control over what you would be receive.....

Just be very careful which one you purchase. If you can wait until Cosford, perhaps we could make it one of our missions to find a decent one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Alan - I agree they can be worth the money. My painting skills are not too good so this looks an ideal solution.

Ron - I've seen some builds using these and they look brilliant. I've also seen some which look awful with laser cut seam lines almost as wide as the planking and far too dark. I can't say I've looked that closely at the way the grain runs but I don't want a 'Blue Peter sticky-back plastic' look on an expensive kit!

There's no rush so a look around at Cosford seems a good idea. If I can't find an actual deck, at least I've got a good chance of finding where I might get one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave - you are quite right, they do look superb and finish off the model a treat.......Just be careful what you buy.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I've haven't tried this stuff yet (probably on my 1/48 DH-2 ..future project), but this looks like a great alternative?o_O

http://www.uschivdr.com/

B

Bunkerbarge

Have a look through this thread:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/revell-1-72nd-type-vii-u-boat.2410/

Although the deck set here was purchased through White Ensign Models you can also buy these direct from the manufacturer in the United States. I agree there are varying qualities out there and you need to be carefull which one you go for but a good one takes the model to a whole new level. There are also suppliers in the States who sell planking sheets made up of individual strips of wood glued together and cut into sheets. It doesn't get any better than that but you have to cut them yourself and they would not be suitable for very small scale applications. If anyone is interested I will try to dig out the links.

Here we go, it usually takes me a while to remember the name!!:

http://www.micromark.com/Board-By-Board-SidingandShip-Decking-1and16-Inch-Planks-050-Thick-x-3-Inches-Wide-x-22-Inches-Long,7256.html

Not much use for plastic battleships but perfect for bigger scale RC tugs etc.

C

Caledonia

I believe MK1 do a wooden deck for your ship, I used them on my 1/350 HMS King George V, and I have bought one for my future 1/350 DKM Scharnhorst. Very good quality. I dulled mine down a bit with weathering powder, see link below.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/hms-king-george-v-1-350-tamiya.28028/page-6

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/DX-Packs.html

http://www.micromark.com/ka-models-deluxe-accessory-pack-for-1and200-trumpeter-arizona,10992.html

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Gavin & Richard - Thanks for the info. Both these items would need to be cut to fit around deck fittings etc. which I'd have lots of problems with. I'd much prefer ready-cut pieces.

Derek - They do make a massive difference to a kit don't they? I'll have a look around and see what I can find about Mk1. Thanks.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just checked out the links you sent Derek. I knew the extras were expensive but .......

I only paid about £125 for the kit inc. P&P (which I think is a good price for a brand new kit!). Those prices are way more than I'm prepared to spend. OK. I know they include lots of wonderful extra PE details but most of it is too fiddly for me and I'd end up only using a small fraction of them. I suppose it might be feasible to buy a set and just use the deck, but I wonder how much I'd get back if I sold just the PE on its own? Something to think about if I can't find the deck on its own though.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi I have used two different makes and although the grain effect was great they both suffer from the same problem, they look great when first on but just let the temperature rise or fall even slightly or the humidity go up or down, and they swell and you end up constantly smoothing them before showing them off at their best, just a word of warning there, I don't know if varnishing them would make a difference. I haven't dared try as it may change the colour of the wood.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Hi I have used two different makes and although the grain effect was great they both suffer from the same problem, they look great when first on but just let the temperature rise or fall even slightly or the humidity go up or down, and they swell and you end up constantly smoothing them before showing them off at their best, just a word of warning there, I don't know if varnishing them would make a difference. I haven't dared try as it may change the colour of the wood.
Well that doesn't sound too good! Looks like I've got to do more checking before I buy anything!

D

Deleted member 3568

Can't remember where the other one came from but the one on the warspite was from a dx pack. Like I said maybe varnishing them first would sort it but in my experience when you varnish real wood it changes colour so I don't know.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave I've just took in that it's the 1/200 scale ship. Why not wait until the kit is delivered, then take a look at the deck?

At that scale you could well find the planking detail is just fine, without the huge expense of the wooden decks for this big vessel......

C

Caledonia

My KGV deck had the feel of being varnished when bought, it was aerosol varnished a couple of times by myself for the Dio stage, and further brush varnished to apply the cotton wool to the deck for the sea spray effect and keeping the anchor chains in place. It did not affect the colour, which I had dulled down with weathering powder. Hope this helps.

D

Dave Garrett

i got one for my 1:350 prince of wales by hunter which comes with anchor chain and photo etch rope reels by hunter, i have just made my own for my 1:72 corvette and that went pretty well took a couple of weeks to get it sorted properly and the leftover veneer will be used for dashboards and door cards on various models plus many of other uses

C

Caledonia

Here is someone building your kit with the MK 1 DX Pack, very impressive. Derek

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=90573

G

Graham D

I've just got this kit and I am using Eduard photo etch with hunter wooden deck and Master gun barrels. I've used this manufacturer on my Hood and Bismarck. They are the cheapest I have found as well as the thinest, which is good when its on, but can be a pain to get on in the first place. I have found that sometimes if the deck does not stick, I use thinned PVA.

C

Caledonia

Just found these.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=90573

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunter-1-200-W20001-Wood-deck-USS-Battleship-Arizona-for-Trumpeter-/251623798814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a95f2781e

Derek

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks guys. That Hunter one looks interesting although the one in the DX pack looks superb - alas, as I mentioned, I can't justify the expense for the DX one as most of the PE wouldn't be used.

Ron - If I had your painting skills, I'd have no need to worry. My brush painting isn't up to doing justice to a kit like this so I'd have to spray it. I couldn't face the idea of masking off all those deck fittings!