OK I hope I never have to sculpt any coat lace ever again. I managed to get through it and I think the sculpt is finished. I had a last minute panic when I found that his left arm was too long. However a quick operation with flensing knife and saw removed about 8 mm and saved the day. here he is on his working base for the moment. The final base will be ready soon.
Would you ever consider covering the bust in silicone and making a mould??. I think there would be a lot of people out there who would like a go at painting this bust. It is a stunning piece of work as always
Normally, I don't comment on this type of work, as I know very little about it. John, your work is breathtaking. I totally agree with Jon as to the very strong resemblance of the young man vs. the elder. You Sir, are a true artist and I commend your efforts to the highest degree.
Well done, and I would hope you take the advice offered as to the mastering of this model for future distribution. It is truly a masterpiece.
Cheers, Rick H.
Thanks very much gentlemen. You all provide such great encouragement.
Tim and Peter You got me thinking now; he may indeed have T-rex arms but I think I'm going to stay with him.
Steve I have thought about getting a casting of this guy but to be honest I would not know where to start. I suspect that the undercuts and the fine detail might make casting impossible but if anyone has more technical expertise I would love to know more about casting.
Thanks again eveyone and stay tuned for some paint coming shortly.
I continued to vacilate in my usual decisive fashion about his right arm. Finally I decided he did need a little more Popeye juice so I have beefed him up a bit. I also got his final base sorted. Thanks for pointing it out.
Started to apply some paint. I start with an acrylic base coat. His face and hair will be over painted in oils. His coat I have finished in acrylic since I wanted to keep it very dark and very little highlighting. The gold lace was fun to paint. Often I find that lace is painted too bright so I experimented with a number of techniques and I am quite happy with the result. The first coat was applied with gold pigment mixed into yellow ochre acrylic. This gave a grainy dull gold effect. I then used a few different gold highlights to try to vary the finish. The buttons were painted with AK true metal and then polished a little. The other highlights were applied with gold printers ink. Overall it looks like what I was going for.