Wotan's sculpt Thomas Cochrane bust 1/6

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi all

With 6 months to work on this GB I think I should manage it. This will be my entry, a 1/6th scale bust of Sir Thomas Cochrane the best known frigate captain of the Napoleonic period.

He will be sculpted in Magic sculpt, Fimo and anything else that comes to hand.

John

C

Cameronian

A fitting subject if there ever was one. Pulling up a chair.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm definitely following this! :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:
Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin books are even better than the Sharpe novels for historical detail, and I've read the whole series at least twice!
and bored my kids with the bonus material in the DVD of Master & Commander- Far Side of the World
I can't recommend them highly enough.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
This is going to by so much out of my comfort zone its gonna be epic! Bring on the Magic sculpt

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'm in for the voyage, John.

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome aboard chaps. Having read myself in, as it were, I have started on the working drawings for this project. I like to work over a solid core. The torso made from a block of wood and the head formed over a ball of hardened Magic Sculpt. So this is what I will be working from.

John

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
John,
I like the way the plans unfold. Am I right in thinking the items at the bottom are the stand?

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Paul

The little block at the bottom is the wooden core that I will form the torso over. This just gives me some guidelines when I attack my bandsaw.

John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I'm in for this. Another chance to marvel at your skills.
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim Welcome along

I have built up the armature for this bust. A wooden block and a Magic Sculpt "skull". This is Alien Cochrane stage.

John

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
How long do you have to wait for the skull to harden before you start adding on the layers John?. Is it susceptible to being damaged while you sculpt over it??

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Steve

magic Sculpt is an air dry epoxy putty. I usually leave it over night but it starts to harden after about 5 hours. Once hard it can be sanded, drilled and generally abused without any chance of damage.

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Moving right along. We have now reached the zombie Cochrane stage. Underlayer number 1 has been applied to the torso. I have very roughly modelled some anatomy, this is entirely unnecessary however I like to do it since it helps me to make sure the next layers of clothing will go on about right. It's like building the interior of a tank that no-one is ever going to see but I know its there.

I have also added a rough nose shape to build some flesh upon a little later and I have added the armatures for his arms. These are not cut to length yet nor properly positioned, but I like to get them added so that I can check the shoulder sculpting and overall size. If anyone is building figures this little shoulder joint detail may be useful. I insert a piece of square evergreen plastic into the shoulder itself then glue a corresponding piece of square plastic onto the ends of the arm armature. This way I can take the arms off whenever I want but they will always go back in the same position.

I will try to keep the arms separate so that painting will be a little easier.

John

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Excellent John - good to see your sculpting again