Wotan's sculpt Thomas Cochrane bust 1/6

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Looking great but I would expect nothing less.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, if I had half your skill...sigh. :tired:

Cheers,
Richard

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OK I hope I never have to sculpt any coat lace ever again. I managed to get through it and I think the sculpt is finished. I had a last minute panic when I found that his left arm was too long. However a quick operation with flensing knife and saw removed about 8 mm and saved the day. here he is on his working base for the moment. The final base will be ready soon.

Now a final inspection and on to paint.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi John
He looks good. Love the lace detail. Not sure if it’s me or perhaps the angle of the pictures, but are the forearms a little short?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
What I think is remarkable is that you can see this young chap in the photogaph of Cochrane as an old man.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Would you ever consider covering the bust in silicone and making a mould??. I think there would be a lot of people out there who would like a go at painting this bust. It is a stunning piece of work as always :thumb2:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Verynnicely sculpted face.

It may just be the angle of the photo, but his right sleeve looks a little in the thinnish side to me.

Look forward ot seeing paint added

Peter

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Normally, I don't comment on this type of work, as I know very little about it. John, your work is breathtaking. I totally agree with Jon as to the very strong resemblance of the young man vs. the elder. You Sir, are a true artist and I commend your efforts to the highest degree.
Well done, and I would hope you take the advice offered as to the mastering of this model for future distribution. It is truly a masterpiece.
Cheers, Rick H.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Excellent result and in such a short time as well

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks very much gentlemen. You all provide such great encouragement.

Tim and Peter You got me thinking now; he may indeed have T-rex arms but I think I'm going to stay with him.

Steve I have thought about getting a casting of this guy but to be honest I would not know where to start. I suspect that the undercuts and the fine detail might make casting impossible but if anyone has more technical expertise I would love to know more about casting.

Thanks again eveyone and stay tuned for some paint coming shortly.

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jim

I continued to vacilate in my usual decisive fashion about his right arm. Finally I decided he did need a little more Popeye juice so I have beefed him up a bit. I also got his final base sorted. Thanks for pointing it out.

John

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Started to apply some paint. I start with an acrylic base coat. His face and hair will be over painted in oils. His coat I have finished in acrylic since I wanted to keep it very dark and very little highlighting. The gold lace was fun to paint. Often I find that lace is painted too bright so I experimented with a number of techniques and I am quite happy with the result. The first coat was applied with gold pigment mixed into yellow ochre acrylic. This gave a grainy dull gold effect. I then used a few different gold highlights to try to vary the finish. The buttons were painted with AK true metal and then polished a little. The other highlights were applied with gold printers ink. Overall it looks like what I was going for.

John