WOW that 40 years flew by!!!

B

BluMoon

Hi All, after a very long break from modelling I have finally returned to this fantastic hobby. It must be said that my lasting memories are of long strands of stringy type glue slopped all over the place and a candy floss type of substance on all my Mum's kitchen tops and the exacting detail a heated pin can do to riddle a 1/72 JU88 with Spitfire bullet holes!!! is very different to the availability of both kits and the vast array of materials I can now spend my hard earned on to recreate models. I'm an eager follower of the forum and the tips and techniques I have already picked up have been invaluable so thanks in advance for that. So I guess to the model I chose to be my first try, I know it's a challenge but I am of the mantra one should 'challenge your limits and not limit your challenges' so I went for a Tamiya 1/32 Supermarine Spitfire MK VIII and will attempt to recreate the version that was involved in the Pacific theatre due mainly to the fact that my Wife's grandfather served in WWII as ground crew for these amazing aircraft along with Kittyhawks in Borneo, PNG, Darwin and I believe Moratai Island too so it's kind of a special connection there. I've attached a couple of pics to show the model and I must say that I am very impressed with the detail but also thankfully for the instructions that even a total novice as myself should be able to follow and decipher. So all I can say is get ready because I'll be picking brains and posting questions a plenty but know this won't be an issue due to the vast wells of knowledge here. Thanks for reading. Guy

Attachments

• 20200118_121531.jpg
    20200118_121531.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200118_121522.jpg
    20200118_121522.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200118_121720.jpg
    20200118_121720.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 28

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum Guy, and you've got a great kit to start with. Looking forward to seeing this getting built. I really like the tropical colour scheme.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Welcome to the forum Guy, really top bunch of modellers on here so get involved and look forward to seeing this build progress

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Guy and good luck with your first build!!

ATB

Andrew

B

BluMoon

Thanks Pappa and Mickc, I couldn't go past this beautiful aircraft I will keep posting as I progress and welcome all feedback as to how I'm going but agree everyone seems great and advice is forthcoming. Cheers Andrew I have a feeling I'll need all the luck I can get

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Guy,
a biggie, to start with - I'm sure that the engineering and fit will live up to the normal Tammy standards.
When you think back to the 60-70s, and compare then, with what is available now, it's almost bewildering - new materials, adhesives, techniques - most of which make life easier, and of course, the models - virtually everything, in a huge range of scales, prices, complexity.
Scarborough - I'm assuming the Yorkshire Riviera one! I remember being taken as a kid - early 60's - to Oliver's Mount to see some motorbike racing there, as a young kid the noise & the spectacle have really stuck in my mind. Scarborough was not a favourite of my father, and we normally used to go to Bridlington - on day trips from Sheffield - in a Hillman Minx - used to take hours & hours to get there, and back
Dave

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Welcome Guy ive only been on this forum a yr but a great bunch of guys an very helpful hope you enjoy your time on here
chris

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello Guy and welcome. You'll like that kit a lot. I built its MkIXc cousin a while back, that to, was a brilliant kit.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Guy,
And its a warm welcome from me as well. I wont be much use to you as not a wingy person but there are lots of guys who can help. Just remember never be afraid to ask.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi guy welcome to the forum . The Tamiya 1/32 kits are state of the art so it should be fairly painless. Any questions just ask , cheers tony

B

BluMoon

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and nothing short of what I expected, all the knowledge on the forum will certainly be a security blanket during my first build!! Thanks too to Dave Ward....yes it's an incredible the variety of products now available which can be very daunting but I'm a patient fellow these days so will gradually
pick the ones best suited to my limited technique!!...I'm in Scarborough Queensland (a suburb on the North side of Brisbane) but the link for the two Scarborough's being Captain Cook who I think was from there or there abouts.

Thanks again to all
:thumb2:

First Name
Gary
Welcome Guy. I'm new too and like you have memories of about 40 years ago as well of glue seared over most of the model. Fingerprints, rubbish paint jobs but still pride at having a fleet of RAF WWII aircraft. I loved ships and want to tackle a WWII 1/350 when I finish my Spitfire MK. I'm loving the detail and the time it takes, which is a hobby I want, and knowing I can simply do a bit and leave it until tomorrow if I wish. No rush.

The painting is a whole new ball game with the mutitude of materials and tools available now and its mind boggling how realistic some of the experinced modellers make their builds. I've bought a mid price airbrush kit and a decent airbrush off a member here to play with that aspect. That in itself is a minefield if you take it too far for a beginner. YouTube is full of relaxing and interesting videos but at the same time quite easy to get sucked in then you remember the guys on there are proper experts and recreating a lot of what they do is impossible without similar experience. So I intend to keep it fairly simple and have an experiement now and then and of course this website is full of helpful and friendly people who know their stuff.